Kaygee747
#1 Star!
Supersonic 25!
Helpful 1

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

Tue, May 17, 2016 3:39 PM

Incorrect Permit, Extremely Poor & Unhelpful Service, Unprofessional Technicians

So, where do I start? Let me start with stating that the safety of my family is paramount, with my property coming in second.

I am extremely disastified with AT&T's service! I was told by many people not to use them, but I did so because the previous owner of the house already had an account and the equipment, so I thought it be easier to just have them switch it to me and she would not get charged with the cancellation fee.

Let me take the time to touch on how much of a mistake that was. This is lengthy, but the length of the issue is what makes this entire thing something you may want to read before you purchase this service from AT&T.

I had the account number from the previous owner, and both I and the previous owner called the 800 number, like we were told to do, during settlement. 

When the account was not transferred over in 48 hours, like AT&T promised, I called customer service. I was told that they have no record of this transfer request, and that they would need to verify the last four digits of the previous owner's social security number to do anything.

Understandable, but why would I have the last four digits of the social security number of the person who I just purchased a house from?

I got in contact with my realtor, who got in contact with the previous owner's realtor, and she called customer service, explained the situation and provided them with her approval, again, to transfer the account to me, and she provided them with her social security number.

After I was informed this was complete, I called again. Again, customer service had no record of anything. I spoke to a supervisor who was very cold in his delivery in informing me that there is nothing they can do.

I then realized that this was nothing more than a sales pitch, as the supervisor suggested that I get transferred to the sales department and start my own account at the residence. I wanted to try to avoid having the previous owner get hit with AT&T's nasty cancellation penalty, but it was clear that they wanted to make certain that they received not only the previous owner's cancellation penalty money, but also gain a new account hold by getting me on board.

With much reluctance, but with not much choice, I accepted.

They sent some technican out to my home named Tyrone who was training another technician on the scene. Nothing really seemed right, but they came and "rediscovered" all of the sensors on the windows, and put a 2nd one on my front door because they couldn't rediscover the first sensor, but magically could resdicover the 1st sensor on my back door when they realized where it was and how difficult it may be to put in a 2nd one.

They left without providing me any information or letting me ask any questions. I did not even receive a manual to learn how to work the keypad. But I am a smart guy and figured I would learn how to work it on my own.

I was then contacted by a "Field Manager" named Robert Johnson. He asked if he could stop by and review the work performed by the "technicians" that were out there.

I accepted and Robert came to my house. He was a very nice guy and spent a lot of time with my wife and I. He explained many things about the system that were not explained to us before, however, he recognized that the "installation" (it really was a transfer, they didn't install anything) was not done correctly, nor was it complete. They forgot some things and took the lazy way out when it came to labeling my devices.

Robert took the time to show me how to log into the portal, which I didn't even know existed, how to download the app, which I didn't know existed, how to create programs and other features.

I woke up the next morning and my system was no longer on "test mode'" and kept saying one of the windows in my house were open. I knew there wasn't, and noticed in the portal there was one more sensor on there than there should be. I opened and closed every window in my home until I found the "extra" one that existed. I called customer service and they removed the extra sensor in the system.

Robert sent out another team of technicians, these two seemed more knowledgable than the previous two, but the one technician, Steve, was very confrontational whenever you asked him a question. Steve also bad mouthed the installation by Tyrone multiple times, loudly, which was extremely unprofessional.

When Robert Johnson was at my house, he stated that the keypad that I had was old and I should tell the technician that comes out to replace it with a new one.

Well, when I asked Steve to upgrade it, he refused and told me, "there's no reason to change out the keypad, there's nothing wrong with this one." I informed him that Robert said it should replaced, and he replied, "Well, Robert is wrong."

So professional.

I noticed on the new keypads, you have three options:
Stay

Away

Instant

My keypad did not have the instant option, and I wanted that option. I informed Steve of this and he shrugged and said, "well, what do you want me to do?"

So he left and Robert texted me and asked me if the keypad was changed out. I told him no, and he just said, "let me know if you have any issues."

By the way, I figured out that if I push the Stay button, it goes into Stay mode, but if I hold the Stay button, it goes into Instant mode, so I figured it out on my own.

So about a month goes by and my wife leaves for work one morning and put the alarm on Away by accident. Well, I walk downstairs and the motion detector gets me and the alarm sounds. I quickly disarmed it and expected a call from the monitoring department, like they state they will do.

No call came.

I called customer service, and the woman took over ten minutes just to verify my account. She was clueless and could not answer why I was not called.

I called the next day, and waited on hold for 21 minutes. The gentleman that I spoke to, named Ivan, listened to my concern that I was never called by the monitoring department. He stated that the monitoring department actually doesn't call untl the alarm goes off for 15 seconds. I was not happy with this, because that's 15 seconds more that someone has to go through my property, but what he told me next overshadowed that issue.......

He told me that I did not fill out the permit for the indirect alarm users fee, and that the police would not be notified if we did not pick up our phones, or if we were in danger. I informed him that I have no idea what he is even talking about. He took me to the Permits section on the portal and told me that I have to print the form there, pay the fee, and then they will call the police if something happens.

I noticed that the "Jurisdiction" that they had me living in was not correct. The form for this fee that I had to fill out and pay a fee was also incorrect. I informed him that this information is incorrect, and that the location that is in my jurisdiction field, has a police department that is about 55-60 miles away from where I live.

He told me, "Oh, that's your municipality."

Okay, I bought it and called them. Well, they informed me that my township is its own municipality, and that they would not be the correct police to be contacted in case of an emergency.

I called back, and this time I was on hold for 30 minutes before someone picked up. A woman named Delia picked up and informed me that I should go to my township, get the correct form, and then change the information on the Permit page.

Oh, okay, sure, no problem. I will do the leg work and leave work early because your company is incompetant.

That was all fine and dandy, but I explained to her that the "Jurisdiction" field on the Permit section was not modifiable by me. She then said, "I am not sure then."

Great answer!

It was at this time I called Robert Johnson again, who had no answers for me. He had to search the knowledge base for an answer and stated that none of the PDFs with their information were coming up. He stated he would email someone to find out what the deal is with the Jurisdiction.

Great.....

My main concern was, who is AT&T going to call if there is an emergency? If they contact the police department in my Jurisdiction field in my portal, then no help will be coming to me and my family.

So I went to my township's municipality building and, with no issues, paid the yearly fee and and filled out the Indirect Alarm Users form. I was in and out in five minutes.

I went home and called Customer Service.....again.

This time I was on hold for 15 minutes.

A gentleman picked up and stated that all of the systems are down, and they are asking everyone to call back in two hours.

What kind of alarm company is this?

I called Robert again in a rage, asking to be released from my contract. He stated that he too tried to call as a customer and had to wait a long time. He did not assist me in any way, but the guy is very nice, so my rage calmed. He said he is STILL waiting for his contact in monitoring to respond to his email about the Jurisdiction.

At 7:30pm, Robert called me again to let me know that he still has not received a response. It is not good when a field manager not only does not know the answer to simple questions such as how the Permits and Jurisdictions work, but cannot even receive a response from his own employees. I don't know about you, but I know when my manager contacts me, I respond immediately.

Anyway, here we are, today, and I called again. The customer service person told me that they could not help me and transferred me to Lavina in the Monitoring department. I explained the situation, AGAIN, and she told me that she could not assist, but she would get the information over to the "Permits department" so they can correct it. I asked if there was a way to contact the permits department, I was told, "no."

Lavina assured me that the permits department would "look into it" and she provided me with her direct line in case I have questions.

So there we are. Two months into AT&T digital service, and I have had a horrible experience with:
Transferring service.
Installation.
Technican professionalism.

Customer Service.

Overall knowledge of everyone I have spoken to on the phone.

Not being told that there is a permit I need to have filled out and submitted to have monitoring contact the police in an emergency.

Being told how to use the system.

I have still not heard back from Lavina or Robert. My jurisdiction still remains incorrect, and I am extremely sorry that I ever signed up for this service!

I am completely lost and have no idea if anything is going to be resolved.

Beware if you are looking for an alarm company to monitor your home, and beware of the things that I have discovered on my own that may not have been shared with you either. My only hope is that I helped someone today.

If there is no resolution by the end of the day today, I am going to post this experience on other websites, my blog, and the BBB website, which I am sure this company is affiliated with. With the price that they demand on a monthly basis, the words "extremely disappointed and remorseful" come to mind.

They are clearly not fulfilling their end of this business relationship! I do not feel safe when I leave my house or leave my wife home alone.............and why am I paying a monthly fee for that?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

6 y ago

Hello @Kaygee747

We are listening and want to help you! I am sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing. We appreciate you trusting us to help keep your home secure. Our Customer Support Leadership would like to expedite the resolution of this matter. Please share a little more information by clicking here to send Digital Life a private message. In your message please include:

• Your name
  • Account number
  • Address
  • Contact number
Kaygee747

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

6 y ago

So, just to let the public knows where this stands, I received this in a PM from AT&T:

Sent: ‎05-20-2016 5:25:31 PM

Hello Kenneth,

Just got an update on your issue.

Your police agency (-MY TOWNSHIP NAME- Police) was contacted and all changes will be made to your account shortly.

If there is still a problem after the update, please respond to this message making me aware.

Thank you

Well, I would love to check it, BUT YOUR HORRIBLE APP IS DOWN.......AGAIN.

Your service SUCKS! Let's see what the BBB has to say about your horrible service.

Kaygee747

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

6 y ago

Please be wary if you have this service, they most likely do not have the correct police dept in file to contact in case of an emergency. The field manager, Robert Johnson, never responded to me in the past week like he said he would when he received a response about things that, personally, he should know the answer to, but he did tell me that his permit was the same as mine, and he lives further from that police dept than I do, so there is a good chance tha AT&T Digital Life has the incorrect police dept on file for you.

Look out for yourself and your family, because AT&T is not!

Kaygee747

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

6 y ago

UPDATE

1. I continue to go back and forth with the customer service representitive via PM. So far it's the same thing when you call customer service.
  2. I have reported the issue to the BBB, but they do not seem to have AT&T's Digital Life service accredited with them, so I have them looking into it.
  3. I texted the field manager that was suppposed to be helping and find an answer for the past week. All he could reply was "he's sorry that he has not contacted me."

I mean, c'mon, it's been a week. You still don't have an answer and you couldn't even shoot me a text, email, or phone call, letting me know that your team is incompetant and does not respond to your emails and that you do not know the answer to, what should be, a basic question?

More to come!

Kaygee747

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

6 y ago

UPDATE:

Assistance via this website continues to be horrid and just as good as when you call in to customer service. After they respond to me, it normally takes them 14-18 hours to respond to my response.

Unacepptable!

The field manager, Robert Johnson, was in contact with me last night via text. In the case of an emergency he still does not know how AT&T would know what the correct emergency departments to contact would be.

He asked me if the permit number was was the number that was in that field in my account. I told him, "no, I put that there to see if AT&T would update it to the correct permit number, as my township stated that they are unaware of any permit number that is associated with this sort of form for home alarms."

As I stated before, AT&T has updated nothing on my profile except the one field that I cannot update, the "Jurisdiction" field. All other fields have values in them that I just created. I wanted to see if AT&T actually updates these with any real information. They obviously don't!

He then informed me that, he believes, that AT&T would need a permit number to contact the correct emergency departments if my alarm ever goes off, and will need to look into it further. He goes on vacation after today, so if he doesn't solve it today, I guess I am out of luck and will continue to pay for a monitoring service that really doesn't monitor, until he returns and can start the search again.

That is, if he doesn't forget about me again like he did for a week.

This is completely ridiculous!

directv_123

ACE - Guru

• 

902 Messages

6 y ago

Great job documenting this...

At the very least - file a small claims case against them.

They won't show, and you'll win. 

That will offset your costs to sitch to a reputable company, and make things a little closer to "right".

Jeez - what a hassle they caused...

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

6 y ago

@Kaygee747

I've received information that we have been in contact with you often.

You are scheduled to be contacted today to discuss the incorrect permit number you added to your account and all other concerns. We are trying to help you but are not adequately able to do so if you intentionally provide information to cause a failure.

We look forward to working with you to ensure all your issues are addressed.

Thank you.

bchapman12

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

6 y ago

How can I ensure that my system is set up correctly and the Police/Fire, etc will be contacted as a result of an alarm at my house?

Kaygee747

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

6 y ago

Good question! One I cannot seem to get an answer to. One that AT&T seems to not know the answer to. One that management seems to not know the answer to.

Update on issue:

The field manager I was working with was unable to gather any new information. No one knows how to get the permit number for my profile. No one knows if the correct emergency department/s will be contacted in case of emergency.

On a side note, their billing system, is still right on point and working fine!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 y ago

Really? You are blaming the problem on the customer? Oh, I forgot... it's ATT.

Kaygee747

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

6 y ago

Crazy, right? This is what I am dealing with. Like I said, AT&T makes it look like Comcast has the best customer service in the world. And we know that's saying a lot.

This is, by far, the worst company I have ever dealth with.

Oh, but did I mention that their billing cycle is working just fine? They never miss a beat with that.

Kaygee747

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

6 y ago

UPDATE:

Two weeks later, and my issue remains unresolved.

I received this message from someone at AT&T over a week ago informing me that they are correcting the issue and if the issue is not resolved within 48 hours, to respond to the instant message they sent me.

Well, I did respond, a week later, to tell them the issue is still out standing. I have still not received a response.

If you look up, you will see this rude post from the AT&T rep:

May 25, 2016 2:35:19 PM

(1)

Community Support

@Kaygee747

I've received information that we have been in contact with you often.

You are scheduled to be contacted today to discuss the incorrect permit number you added to your account and all other concerns. We are trying to help you but are not adequately able to do so if you intentionally provide information to cause a failure.

We look forward to working with you to ensure all your issues are addressed.

Thank you.

Do you see the part in bold. Guess what?
NO ONE HAS CONTACTED ME STILL TO THIS DAY!

And that reply was sent four days ago.

The field manager that was helping me is on vacation, and is clueless.

This remains an issue. A main part of home mointoring is knowing who to contact if the alarm goes off. AT&T CONTINUES to have no idea who they are calling if something happens at my house.

But, as I stated before, they billed me right on time. That part of their business works perfect.

This service is a joke!

I am pretty sure with all of this proof, I can stop paying and if they decide to take me to court, I would win because they are not providing me with the service I am paying for.

The ADT guy was at my door a few days ago, I told him to come back in a week as I may be dumping my current "home monitoring" systems.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

6 y ago

We have contacted you regarding your issues. If you have further questions, please address them with the individual that is contacting you to ensure they are resolved.

Thank you.

Kaygee747

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

6 y ago

UPDATE:
A woman named Brooke called me and contacted my my municipal building to prove that there is no permit number in my township, which is what I have been saying the entire time.

For the time being, it seems this may be a bit resolved, but not completely. Brooke still couldn't quite tell me where the monitoring department would call in case of fire or medical, but she seemed to have the correct police number.

And then, after all of this, I was insulted with an offer for a one time $10 credit to my account for the miscommunication. That's a slap in the face, as I have done more running around, and made more phone calls, and figured out more information, then the AT&T team has the entire time this issue occured.

Not to mention the stress and aggravation that I went through for over TWO WEEKS! But that shows AT&T's true colors right there!

As I stated, Brooke called me and she was nice, although her credit was like a "nyah nyah! We got you in a contract and you can't do anything about it." She gave me her direct number as she stated she would "look into the correct numbers for fire and medical."

If my experience with AT&T continues to go the way it is, which I see no reason why it wouldn't, I doubt I will ever hear back from this woman. But she did state that they did not know that my township did not have a permit number for the indirect alarm form, (and my township is LARGE) and she said she would have to let the permit department know.

So I am going to say this one more time before I go.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE PERMIT SECTION IN YOUR AT&T PROFILE TO SEE WHO AT&T WILL CONTACT DURING AN EMERGENCY!

MAKE SURE YOU FILL OUT AND SUBMIT THE INDIRECT ALARM FEE FOR YOUR TOWNSHIP!

In case of emergency, AT&T may be contacting a police department an hour away from you, like they would have with me if I didn't make all of this noise about this.

If you are stuck in this contract, like we all are, then at least make sure you and your family are safe, because AT&T, their staff, and their management, will not do it on their own!

Thank you all!

Namaste!

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

6 y ago

Hello @Kaygee747

Unfortunately, many municipalities change their requirements and security providers are not proactively made aware of this information. These changes affect all providers of home security managing this information across the country. We have processes in place to re-verify information, however due to the thousands of municipalities this is done on a schedule so there will be instances when our information will not be 100% accurate. We are constantly working to improve the timeliness of updates and stressing the importance of these municipalities to proactively share this information with security providers.

I'm happy to hear that Brooke has been engaged on your issue as we have spoken about it many times.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.