For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
bartman99's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, March 2nd, 2017 3:32 AM

z700a Home Phone and Internet SLOW!!!

I have a new Homebase ZTE z700a.I get 2-3 bars of LTE signal (~100-105 dBm). My speeds have varied all over the place, but never more than 5 Mbs. Now I'm seeing speeds of 0.5 Mbs, while my cell phone with Cricket (AT&T) is getting close to 8 Mbs in the same exact spot.  Since the z700a has both wifi and ethernet, I have tried both with the same slow results. I have tried multiple resets.  Any thoughts on what's going on? Fixes?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@JumpinIsUseless I remember people were having problems with slower speed on the Mobleys and Fast.com (netflix) then a few weeks later, stream saver was enabled for that plan and you could turn it off. (This was just in the last few months).

I've been under the impression those WHPI Plans are subject to deprioritization from the first byte of data (slowed down if the tower is busy). Although that doesn't sound like it's the issue.

The big question is:

Is it affecting your streaming?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@JumpinIsUseless wrote:

the plan that has 500 gb per a month 

Isn't this the $100 plan? Wouldn't it be a couple of dollars cheaper to put this device on the Unlimited PLUS plan?  

Not that savings would be huge, but if you then added your phones to the unlimited plan it seems like you could save some money on your phone/internet costs.

Plus, you'd have access to turn stream saver off! 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L

Just wanted to let you know that I got this problem SOLVED! I went ahead and chatted with online help and they assured me that there was no throttling and that there was no such thing as Stream Saver for my account. Today I logged on and the Stream Saver button just magically appeared on my account, which of course was turned on. I turned it off and now I can Stream 2 tv's in 4k on netflix and I can download at 1 mb/s speeds for updates on my games, which is a lot better than the 25 kb/s i was getting. I don't know why or how I was able to get this changed, but it is a life saver... it is a bit impossible to use my 500 gb a month if i am only able to stream at 1 mb/s when watching netflix at 480p. If anybody has this problem and you are not able to stream in 1080p on netflix, but have a 20 mb/s connection via speedtest.net call att and get them to activate your stream saver button so you can disable it. That is my fix for this and I finally have a happy wife 😛

Thanks again for the idea @Gary L for the stream saver.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@JumpinIsUseless Yeah!!!! (You're welcome!)

Thanks for commenting back with the results.  Glad it's working.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Gary,

Can you help???   I have just got a Rural Wireless Internet Home Base 250g monthly package. I have seen some of the things you have suggested to help others to help fix there issues. I have followed and made the changes that worked for them.  My big problem is the Home Base doesn’t have a consistent connection. The speeds are all over the place and can’t even stream a movie without stopping and buffering (Stream Saver is off). I have good signal on the Home Base and my cell phones. I can’t figure out why the connection speed for the Home Base is all over the place (speeds are - Low 0.5mb to Highs 36.78mb/77mb). If you or anyone can help, that would be great!  If I can’t get this figured out, I’m going to have to return it. The Home Base is not a very good benefit functioning like this. Please Help! 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

FYI, regardless of what you figure out, they're releasing a new WHPI home base next week. So I'd return it regardless and try out the new one.

Also, if your cellphone is also AT&T, it might make more sense to put the phones and the base on an Unlimited Plus plan, no limit, the first 22GB isn't deprioritized and then your phones would be unlimited too.

Or you could just use a normal hotspot, they just came out with a new one last week with an ethernet port.

My big problem is the Home Base doesn’t have a consistent connection.

Connection to what? To AT&T? To the devices via WiFi?

Are phone calls dropping? (are you using it for that?).

Did you connect anything to the Ethernet port to see how that works (that would rule out any WiFi issues)?

Plus, I wouldn't use it's WiFi, I'd hook up my own Wireless router (I don't use my wired internet providers WiFi either, I use my router).

Have you tried it at other locations around the house? Different walls? Upstairs?

Even running speed tests and turning it 15 degrees and running the test again can give very different results.

People have been hooking external antennas to those but I'm not sure if they cracked them open to do it (I do NOT think so). Lots of talk about these at some RV mobile forums and HowardForums.

You could also have a defective one.

You could have high deprioritization where you live (if your tower is overloaded). Are you in the city or the country?

Try it super late or super early (3am or 6am) and see if you get more consistent / better speeds (better than busier hours), if you get successful tests that way a few differnt days that might indicate a daytime/evening congestion problem (deprioritization).

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

What I would do if I were you is get a router and turn off the router
function on the home base. That may be your issue. There are guides on the
forums as to how to be able to set this up properly. I have had consistent
speeds of 30 Mbps plus using a Netgear orbi system. I do however have quite
a bit of the house wired, which I feel helps the connection quite a bit. If
this doesn't maybe check your signal strength on the home base. Mine is -50
db and if yours is greater than 90 that may be your issue. I do use a
wireless signal amplifier from weboost and it helps a lot.
Good luck
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.