Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Troubleshoot your device issues
dgtubbs's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, March 18th, 2016 1:14 AM

Windows 10 Mobile Upgrade

So, today Microsoft rolled out the Upgrade Advisor in their Windows Store.  The message I received when I used the app was that my phone is eligible for an upgrade (I have a Lumia 640XL with W8.1Denim installed).  I was also instructed that the app would notify me when the upgrade is available from my carrier.

While I understand that AT&T typically never publishes a release date, the ball is now officially in your (and other carriers’) court.  Do you have any news about when Windows 10 Mobile will be available?  What information is there regarding which phones will receive the upgrade first (other than "newer models first, then older models")?

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey Question #2 will NEVER be a question / Concern for you with a 950 XL. You have a Pure, clean Microsoft device, not a Microsoft Device branded by AT&T. AT&T will never control the updating of that phone. Yes updates are staged through AT&T, but if AT&T and Microsoft had some kind of falling out; I expect that our 950 XLs would receive updates DIRECTLY from a Microsoft controlled source and not from AT&T's system.

It is only a Carrier "branded" device that falls into a potential gray area.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

It concerns me only in as much as they work together, in order to enable some of the features for un-branded devices as well.

This is more about the SIM provisioning, which links to the firmware that enables things such as VoLTE, WiFi C, etc...  If AT&T talks to MS, and they agree that all the protocols are in place to work, AT&T will provision, and the Microsoft firmware works with the phone features, as intended.

If they don't, you're stuck, and fairly frustrated, with a feature-rich phone that most features are disabled on, unless you move to the EU or similar ;-]

If not, un-branded phone people are caught between the two, and their (dis) agreement, not for technical reasons necessarily or usually...

I should add, I talked to ATT Tech about provisioning my phone for HD Voice (not VoLTE, but a step in the right direction). 

The tech's statement was very clear, I would have to wait for AT&T to upgrade my firmware and OS, for the change.  I asked them to clarify, after making sure they knew it was an unlocked, unbranded phone, but they seemed pretty sure of themselves, I had to grin a bit, despite being frustrated about the situation.

Someone ought to disseminate out how updates work, from various OS's, for BOTH locked AND unlocked phones, so techs aren't making claims like this.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey

Just so you know with ATT HDvoice is VoLTE....  They use the terms the same even tho there not.

I dont see ATT enabling HDvoice and other features on non ATT devices for atleast another year or 2.  Thats how that can force you to get there phones if you want something like wifi calling.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

ODad,

I would be interested in a step by step video as I have never owned or updated a windows phone. My past have been with Androids and rooting. Thanks.

countryrev

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@countryrev Ok I'll start working on something

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Yeah, equating HD Voice and VoLTE is just plain wrong, you know it too, it's definitely a subset, and eventually ATT will have to come around, as standards evolve, or they'll be in a bad spot, IMHO.

I'm more interested in WiFi Calling than most of the other "hampered" features, simply because quite a few of my weekends, during the day, I'm at a location where I can't get signal, and sometimes I need to get pinged from work. 

I'm holding out that ATT and MS will sort this out.  WiFi Calling has more or less evolved into a standard, that's how it's supported on so many devices on other carriers.  It's not like it's magically different from Skype or another VOIP solution, a couple of key exchanges and a (mostly) secure tunnel, excpet that it used your number, which is nice.

Both of these techs have some security issues still, regardless of where they're implemented (even the one ATT has so far), but they're mostly DoS and piggyback-packet type deals, not getting your data/call/text compromised, and I'm sure ATT knows about this, and is wary.  However, they're accepting it for now on a HUGE set of devices, and it sure would be nice if they expanded.  I'd probably be a customer for another 20 years, if they solidified this and quit the unbranded unfriendliness, but who knows...

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

The only way this happens before 2-3 years for Microsoft devices is if Microsoft does in fact start their own SIM program and it happens to be via the AT&T network. Otherwise it will be a while before AT&T lets 3rd devices take part in these extra features of their network. They will control that as long as they can.

In the end it's not a concern on the firmware side for 950 XL owners. AT&T doesn't control that firmware or the release of it. And even if for some strange reason AT&T required something that needed a firmware update, it would be Microsoft that makes the change to their hardware and they would be ones who release it. 950 XL owners are not held up on anything by AT&T.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@countryrev I probably could have made this shorter, but I thought it might be helpful to some to see the each step in the. As you'll see, it is a very easy process.

https://youtu.be/M7x2CjiInI8

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Yes.  I bet that it will be (longer than 3 months). 😞

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

ODad,

Thanks for the information. I havae 10 up and running :-). Thanks again for the help.

countryrev

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.