Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Troubleshoot your device issues
dgtubbs's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, March 18th, 2016 1:14 AM

Windows 10 Mobile Upgrade

So, today Microsoft rolled out the Upgrade Advisor in their Windows Store.  The message I received when I used the app was that my phone is eligible for an upgrade (I have a Lumia 640XL with W8.1Denim installed).  I was also instructed that the app would notify me when the upgrade is available from my carrier.

While I understand that AT&T typically never publishes a release date, the ball is now officially in your (and other carriers’) court.  Do you have any news about when Windows 10 Mobile will be available?  What information is there regarding which phones will receive the upgrade first (other than "newer models first, then older models")?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I do know that the Nokia Lumia 830 will run quite well on Win10. 

My previous 830 was an international version and I've noticed I had more freedom of updating software and apps, including letting me upgrade it to Windows 10 which worked beautifully on this phone.  At this point, I will add that my previous 830 was an unlocked International model (made in Vietnam), and when I updated to Win10 I was on vacation to Japan which connected me to SoftBank as the provider.

After a hard fall, which also was enough to damage the mother board as well as the screen, I ended up buying a replacement AT&T 830 (Made in China) with a cracked screen and a replacement screen/digitizer (originally intended for my old phone before I found the motherboard damage).  All that one will let me do is upgrade to the most current version of 8.1, which is really frustrating me since Windows 10 had more features than 8.1 does, I also think that Win10 has more apps available as well.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I'm starting to guess that AT&T is holding off on the Win10 for two reasons; to push the Android/iPhone flagships (their biggest sellers), or to push the higher-priced Windows 10 models such as the Lumia 950 and 950XL.

My guess is that it's not cost effective for them to let their customer upgrade their existing phones when they can push for them to purchase new phones.  However, it is GOOD customer service for them to do so and could help them to retain customer rather than risk having them switch to other carriers.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Can we please have an update on the Windows 10 upgrade for the 640 and 640XL thank you.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Don5914 I concur with @KP1969 on your 830.

There are a lot of satisfied people running W10m on their 830's, up on WindowsCentral, if you want to check out a breadth of opinions.

Insider - Release Preview is sitll very stable, I'd ballpark it at 80-90% as stable as 8.1, currently.

If you still can't get 8.1, I'd de-install and re-install "Upgrade Advisor", as it should be showing you this upgrade.

@dmonta The 640 has had W10m (.107 build) released for quite some time now, and the XL seems to be behind a bit.

My "guess" is that AT&T is considering just waiting for the "Anniversary Release" at this point, but again, total opinion/guess, on my part.

If you want the current builds, then again, Insider - Release Preview is a MUCH better build, IMO (stability, battery life, features, etc) than .107, the current AT&T W10m build.

Slight risk with Insider, sure, rewards, well, that's up to you...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as solved, and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). Thanks.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Is there a work around. When will there be an windows 10 update for the 1020 phone?

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

The Insider (Release Preview - stable build) *is* the workaround.  

The 1020 ins't slated to get W10m, ever.  You can however (possibly for a limited time) upgrade it the same way, via insider.

I have my daughter on a 1020, running the 494 (latest build of RP), and she's had very close to zero issues, to-date, and she really uses her phone, puts it through the paces.

You have to decide.  The 640XL will probably, eventually get the update OTA, through AT&T.

The 1020, if you want W10m on it, you should decide VERY soon, and install via Insider (Release Preview most likely for your/general use).

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as solved, and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). Thanks.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@HarryOOOO I can tell you from personal experience build 10586.494 runs very nicely. I did some comparison with a 640 LTE and I was shocked to see performance at least equal to the 640. Some things actually had better performance on the 1020. That was not my experience with earlier builds. However, if you are a heavy user of the camera, it is a long pause. Steve at AllAboutWindowsPhone.com is one of the best camera guys on mobile around. You might want to check out his site as he has written a lot about pros and cons of putting the 1020 on Windows 10 Mobile. He has 2-3 articles just on that subject. I say do it, but then I do all my camera stuff now on a Lumia 950 XL.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

What is taking so long for the Windows 10 release for Lumia 830? Someone at AT&T must have an idea of a schedule for Windows 10 to be released for the 830.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.