For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
dgtubbs's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, March 18th, 2016 1:14 AM

Windows 10 Mobile Upgrade

So, today Microsoft rolled out the Upgrade Advisor in their Windows Store.  The message I received when I used the app was that my phone is eligible for an upgrade (I have a Lumia 640XL with W8.1Denim installed).  I was also instructed that the app would notify me when the upgrade is available from my carrier.

While I understand that AT&T typically never publishes a release date, the ball is now officially in your (and other carriers’) court.  Do you have any news about when Windows 10 Mobile will be available?  What information is there regarding which phones will receive the upgrade first (other than "newer models first, then older models")?

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

It is going to be interesting to see how long it takes AT&T to roll it out or even if they do. They certainly should at least for the 640 LTE models since that phone is relatively new. My question is will they roll it out for models they no longer sell like the 1520.

@dgtubbs be sure to let us know when you get an update on your phone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Yes agreed, it would be nice to know exactly when we can expect ATT to release the update for W8.1 phones.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

ATT does not announce release dates for updates. Simple reason is that they don't know how long it might take to fix issues that arise in testing (yeah, I know....bloatware). If they announce a target date and miss it, you'de all be complaining incessantly. So they just don't.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have a Lumia 640xl as well and am looking forward to the Windows 10 upgrade. I searched AT&T's website for any info on the update and ironically their web sit informed me that I needed to update my phones browser! As if I didn't know that! So AT&T! When will you LET me update my browser!???!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Like with most carriers, it will be months.  What's the point in all the excitement of a release date when its not really released to everyone.  I know the carriers are the bottleneck, but come on.  Feels like your birthday is today, but the party will have to wait a long while and we won't tell you when.  They tell you windows 10 mobile is now available, go get the app and then get your upgrade.  Most the web sites fail to stress that the release date is arbitrary to the carriers.  Its doesn't feel like a release date at all.  #frustrated

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Is it possible to install clean windows Mobile OS on lumia 640 LTE at&t version?

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@Gifnooky if my by a clean install of Windows Mobile, you mean Windows 10 Mobile. The answer is no. The Windows Device Recovery Tool will reset the device back to 8.1.15148.160.

One you have Windows 10 Mobile on the device you can perform a hard reset, do not restore from backup and you'll have a clean Windows 10 Mobile install.

I have Windows 10 Mobile on a 640 LTE and it is a nice experience.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

The question is if I can install "clean" version of windows phone 8.1 (instead of the at&t vesrion) so I won't have to awit until at&t releases thier version of windows 10 mobile.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@Gifnooky The very short answer is, yes you can; Join the Insider Program and you can get the released version of Windows 10 Mobile. It will however not be without the AT&T bloatware that you'll need to delete. It's still an AT&T device. You can have Windows 10 installed and runnig this evening if you choose. It is a very easy process.

The "resetting" back to 8.1 can be acheived with the Windows Device Recovery Tool.but again, it is an AT&T device.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Apparently At&t is being closed mouthed regarding w10m,but Microsoft has released the OS update. Have to play the waiting game as I'm satisfied with my 830 and if I were to upgrade would probably switch to Android! My only real concern is apps for wp8 being left out in the cold.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.