Cyber Week Deals: Buy a Samsung Galaxy Flip3 5G or Fold3 5G & get a pair of Graphite Galaxy Buds2 for FREE!
What is happening with 3G?
C

• 

4 Messages

Fri, Sep 11, 2020 2:19 PM

Will the Redmi 7A from Xiaomi will work on the AT&T network in the US?

How can I find out if the Redmi 7A from Xiaomi will work on the AT&T network in the US? (This is the phone I have)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

90.5K Messages

1 y ago

Slim chance.  And as of February 2022 not at all.  AT&T may not even allow it on the network because it does not have voice over LTE capability on the AT&T network.

These phones will work

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.5K Messages

1 y ago

It will work great as a 3g only device if ATT will allow it to be activated.  That phone has band 5 LTE only and those deployments are being changed to 5g.

• 

4 Messages

1 y ago

Sorry, I am very tech-unsavvy, but what does "has band 5 LTE only" mean? On the product page it says it has a whole bunch of LTE network bands: https://www.mi.com/global/redmi-7a/specs

ACE - Sage

• 

90.5K Messages

1 y ago

Think of it this way, you have an AM radio and AT&T is an FM station.  
Of all the bands on your phone, Your phone only has one band in common with AT&T service. That is band 5 of 3g and Lte.  
because band five is being re-purposed for 5G which your phone will not be able to connect to you may lose all connectivity and your phone will not be able to make or take phone calls send text messages and may not even be capable of a data connection. Please see the list in photos above for phones that will work on at&t.

• 

4 Messages

1 y ago

Thanks for your advice. Does anyone know how long it will be until they switch band 5 over to being 5G? I am looking for a short-term solution, since I don't know how long it will be in the US. If my phone could still somewhat work on band 5 of 3G temporarily, I would be happy to try that.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.5K Messages

1 y ago

Just by a 60 dollar prepaid phone and it will work just fine.

ACE - Sage

• 

90.5K Messages

1 y ago

The change over could have already happened, happen any day, but will certainly by February 2022.

AT&T is actively repurposing band 5 - people are already reporting that they have lost service

• 

4 Messages

1 y ago

lizdance40, thanks for mentioning that, that's very helpful to know.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.