For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
High Plains Drifter's profile

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, November 29th, 2008 4:29 AM

Closed

WiFi BB access hotspot without a data plan? GPS service question

I have a voice-only plan with ATT and am considering a BB for my next phone (Razr just died).

I don't need Internet so I wouldn't be likely to add it to my plan. . But it would be cool to have it at work sometimes - I work in a hotspot so there's free broadband access. If I get a BB with WiFi can the BB access the net via the hotspot without my having to purchase a data plan? In other words, would it connect to the server through the 802.11x hardware and get me on the Internet?

.Also - if my taxes pay for the GPS satellites up there, and there's a GPS receiver in the BB, and I can get GPS software/maps etc from Garmin to load on the phone, do I also have to pay ATT for GPS and if so, what does that ervice fee to ATT get me that I can't already get somewhere else as I just mentioned?

thanks in advance

HPD

Accepted Solution

Professor

• 

1.6K Messages

15 years ago

You don't pay for GPS service.  You pay for whatever GPS app you decide to use.  Some are free.  Some are not.  Check out the "All GPS Apps" thread in the GPS forum at BlackberryForums.com.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

So if I am in a hotspot, and the BB has FREE wifi hotspot coverage, no data plan, is there any additional charge for usage from ATT? And do I have to have an app, like the GPS mentioned above?

Professor

• 

1.6K Messages

15 years ago

at&t doesn't charge you anything to use your GPS receiver.  The only thing they charge you for is your BB data plan and at&t Navigator if you choose to use that app.

Unless you can get by with the latitude and longitude provided by Options->Advanced Options->GPS you need a GPS app.  Data plan requirements are going to depend on the app you select.

Message Edited by takeshi on 01-12-2009 08:47:08 AM

Former Moderator

• 

1.7K Messages

15 years ago

Message moved to a post of its own in the LG board
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.