Military Appreciation: Exclusive savings for military, veterans, and their families!
Troubleshoot your device issues
M
MBarber
#1 Star!
The 5th element!
10th stratosphere!

• 

22 Messages

Thu, Sep 2, 2021 4:01 PM

Closed

What mobile hotspot devices will work after 3G shutdown?

I see the list for phones, smart watches and tablets but no where do I see of any mention of AT&T compatible mobile hotspots or cellular modems such as the Netgear LM1200.  I am interested in Data only devices that will work.

This conversation has been merged. Please refer the main conversation:

3G Sunset Updates and Information

ACE - Sage

• 

96.2K Messages

8分前

@MBarber

The Assumption I am leaping to, which may or may not be correct, is that AT&T has a long list of device IMEI that it knows does work on the network and they can identify by its IMEI.  

Just to keep it simple if they don't have its IMEI somewhere in its database they won't allow the device.  Aside from preventing support calls, there is no reason for this. 

If you live in California, you should definitely file a dispute on this because SB 822 does not allow AT&T or any other carrier to exclude a device that is non harmful.   I can understand excluding a device that technically does not work. Because that is the case with phones. Any phone that is dropping to 3-g service now will not work when 3-g service cuts off in their location and must be replaced. 

I hate to say it again, but sometimes big red just Does it Better. Verizon requires that anytime you want to activate service on a device that you have to run the IMEI through their BYOD check. Either the IMEI is going to come up as a compatible device, or not oh, this prevents you from spending money on service that will not work on your device.   Verizon was pretty hard-nosed for decades over what phone you could use on their Network because they simply would not work. 2019 they put their customers through exactly what AT&T is doing now. Refusing to allow phones that had all of these supposed technical specifications to function simply because they were not certified to work. Two years later and Verizon no longer gives a darn. If you stick your sim card in a phone and it works, you can use it. They take absolutely no responsibility if you stick your sim card in a phone that does not work. They will not refund service, and support will not take your call if they didn't sell you the phone. This is exactly what At&t should do.  

AT&T should be informing their customers by text or email. They should be giving them as much notice as possible , and give them a 30 day notice on top of that. They should not be giving out free phones. They aren't appreciated. Some people consider it condescending and insulting. Some people consider it electronic waste. In either case it is another example of AT&T treating their customers like gigantic babies instead of adults. 

Soap box dismounted. 

MBarber

• 

22 Messages

8分前

I went through the Verizon imbroglio with trying to find a phone that would work on their network changeover. Not being a rich man that can go out and buy the latest iPhone or other +1K  smart device it took some doing. Interesting if they relaxed since than.

My phone is Verizon network (MVNO) but my Data is AT&T (since about 6 years now) for my internet needs. I guess during this changeover I will be forced to buy a Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 Hotspot since it is about the only device with a Ethernet connection and external antennas for my home setup. I live in a fringe area where getting 1 bar reception is a cause for rejoicing. Workable with outdoor antennas.

ACE - Sage

• 

96.2K Messages

8分前

@MBarber

Are you EBB eligible?  Or other help to pay for service and devices? 

MBarber

• 

22 Messages

8分前

I have no idea what EBB is. As to help for the cost of devices or service, I would need no help if AT&T allowed perfectly technologically compatible devices to be activated (stay activated come Feb.) for their DATA service. I am paying now. I am using my Sierra EM7565 to access LTE now. Many of the devices on their Whitelist are inferior Cat modems with no carrier aggregation and less bands than my Sierra has.

Heck even a cat 18 modem as used in a Netgear LBR20 is not on AT&T's whitelist.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

28.4K Messages

8分前

AT&T doesn't have any data devices on their "unlocked whitelist."  I'm not sure what to make of that.  Does it mean:

1) All your devices must come from us, or

2) There's no such thing as a locked/unlocked hotspot, so we're not putting it on this list, or

3) We're too lazy to deal with this issue.  Hope your device works.  See ya.

MBarber

• 

22 Messages

8分前

[quote]

AT&T doesn't have any data devices on their "unlocked whitelist."  I'm not sure what to make of that.  Does it mean:

1) All your devices must come from us, or

2) There's no such thing as a locked/unlocked hotspot, so we're not putting it on this list, or

3) We're too lazy to deal with this issue.  Hope your device works.  See ya. [/quote]

Number 3 it is unlikely since the device must be on the approved Whitelist to work.

I suspect the answer  is

4. Bureaucrats made a decision and bureaucrats are required to change it. Bureaucrat hate changing things. It might cost them their jobs.

ACE - Sage

• 

96.2K Messages

8分前

@MBarber

LOL.

Probably

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.