Troubleshoot your device issues
tsfine's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, October 7th, 2015 8:59 PM

We need to get some upvoting on AT&T to carry the Lumia 950 XL

Come on Windows 10 Mobile junkies - let's get some votes for AT&T to carry the 950 XL. I don't want to wait and I don't want to pay the full price up front at the Microsoft Store. Add a comment and let's get their attention.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Windows 10 Flagship Not available through any carriers. I Think microsoft is trying to make more money selling it themselves but i think they wont get any volume from consumers buying from them i have a great plan from at&t and i really dont want to drop 650+ on a phone.  I have the 1520 and i love it time for the next one though. If AT&T doesnt have it by spring im dropping them and all my phones from them and going elsewhere. period.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@allyn_cj wrote:

Windows 10 Flagship Not available through any carriers. I Think microsoft is trying to make more money selling it themselves but i think they wont get any volume from consumers buying from them i have a great plan from at&t and i really dont want to drop 650+ on a phone.  I have the 1520 and i love it time for the next one though. If AT&T doesnt have it by spring im dropping them and all my phones from them and going elsewhere. period.

Do like i did and buy the device directly from Microsoft. AT&T may or may not carry the device. And you know, by this summer you could be very close to the Surface Phone. But now sure where else you'll go. Not Verizon or Sprint if you want a Windows 10 Mobile phone T-Mobile? You'll have to buy the device from Microsoft and... I put a T-Mobile SIM in my phone yesterday to do so some testing to see if I could move to them. So far that would have to be a big NO, Service in some important areas for  - in a Major city - is not so good.... I am less than impressed.

BTW, the 1520 is an awesome device and on Windows 10, WOW still a killer. But I do like my 950 XL is little bit more 🙂

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

I have a 1520 now and my contract is up I want the 950 XL The Windows phones that AT&T offers now are crap

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Windows Phone is dead. 110M lifetime sales in 5 years. Dwindling app support. I mean when major institutions like banks and retailers remove their app from your market there is an issue.

It can't be saved and the awful launch of the 950 won't save it. In fact the bulk of that 110M in sales was low end prepaid phones like the 520. I wouldn't get an installment agreement for a dead platform that's for sure. There is nothing WP10 offers that can't be done on another OS.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@David606 wrote:
Windows Phone is dead. 110M lifetime sales in 5 years. Dwindling app support. I mean when major institutions like banks and retailers remove their app from your market there is an issue.

It can't be saved and the awful launch of the 950 won't save it. In fact the bulk of that 110M in sales was low end prepaid phones like the 520. I wouldn't get an installment agreement for a dead platform that's for sure. There is nothing WP10 offers that can't be done on another OS.

@David606 why don't you try to be HELPFUL instead of an advocate against something you don't like. Windows Phone might be dead, But Windows 10 Mobile is not.  Move on.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@shoe wrote:

I have a 1520 now and my contract is up I want the 950 XL The Windows phones that AT&T offers now are crap

@shoe I don't know that I'd say they are crap especially when you consider the 950.

Here are the differences between the 950 and the 950 XL - If I haven't missed anything -

950: Snapdragon 808 1.8Ghz Hexa-core Processor
950 XL: Snapdragon 810 2.0GHz Octa-core Processor
950 5.2" Display
950 XL 5.7" Display
The 950 weighs 150g
The XL weighs in at 165g
The XL has a larger battery

Now I selected the 950 XL for several reasons over the 950.

1. Using Continuum: I wanted the better processor.

1.a. Others might not be as interested in Continuum as I am but still may need more processor for games etc. If not this shouldn't be as big of a decider

2. I came from using a 1520 and the bigger screen was attractive to me.

After holding many  5-5.2" devices in my hands I really think that it is the sweet spot when it comes to the size of a phone. And that was the biggest factor that made me consider the 950. Now for some that still might be a bit large and 4.5" might be more ideal, especially for women I am thinking. My wife thought 5.2 was a bit large for a phone when she first got her's; but after a year she's ok with the size. But back on track... 

So Otherwise the two phone specifications are identical. The bigger battery in the XL is offset some by the larger screen.

The 950 has a couple of advantages today over the 950 XL that you need to be aware of it.

The 950 XL is a dual-SIM phone and Microsoft has yet to release a Visual Voicemail solution. People are using some third party solutions but you need to be aware of that. There is a Single-SIM international variant of the 950 XL but it is not sold by Microsoft here. You'd have to buy it from a third party like Epansys. Visual Voicemail on AT&T does work with the Single-SIM version.

The 950 XL from Microsoft is an unlocked device and AT&T is not supporting HD Voice on unlocked devices. I spoke with someone from Marketing at AT&T Monday and she is supposed to get back to me on that issue. Short-Term I am not expecting anything to change there.

So Otherwise the 950 and the 950 XL are the same device and I believe most users would only notice the size differnce and consider use/performace to be identical.

So I wouldn't call the 950 a "crap device" especially if you think the 950 XL is a nice device.

Now I could never own a 640 as a main driver. However, I do own one. I picked one up because it was $59 and I wanted to understand the experience. Daily I use two phones "heavily"; a personal phone and a business phone. Those are the 950 XL and an iPhone 5s. The Lumia 640 has a nicer display, performs overall on par using the same applications and takes just as nice a picture. I am actually putting together a little video on that.

Yes that cheap back-cover on the L640 really takes away from it; and you might THINK because you hold metal in your hand that the iPhone 5s is a better device. The reality is besides the metal the L640 compared to the iPhone 5s isn't crap. So I wouldn't even call it a crap device. Probably the best without question <$100 phone out there. Most us aren't going to buy <$100 phones. I'm shoping an HTC M8 right now and will not consider paying $59 for one because I'm POSITIVE I'd end up with "crap".

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Because people said the same thing about the Palm Pre and BlackBerry 10. This has nothing to do with what I like or don't like. I am speaking facts. Dwindling market share and dying app support is not a good sign.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/01/31/adduplex-brings-bad-news-for-microsoft.aspx?via=indexdotco

So the most popular model is a 3 year old 40 dollar low end device. The 950 barely breaks 3 percent. Of a platform that is 1.7 percent of the market. WP has been around for 5 years and consumers don't pick iOS and Android over Microsoft's product because they're blind. They pick it because Windows Phone is inferior in every imaginable way. The market can't sustain 3 platforms.
This isn't about lack of choice because when the choice was there people didn't pick Microsoft.

http://m.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2440409/nadella-windows-phone-market-share-is-unsustainable

Even the CEO admits it cannot be sustained. Windows Phone 10 is a zombie. It is walking the smartphone Green Mile. MS is too proud to admit the truth everyone else in the industry already knows. It is too late to save it. The announcement that the 950XL would be carried was in November. It's February and zero news about it. This is the sign from above. It probably won't be coming. The marketing required, the certification process, a retail rollout. This will all cost more than the potential profit from selling a few thousand phones. App support is everything in smartphones. Just like game consoles. Great hardware means nothing without third party support. It's why Sega failed. Why NEC failed. Why Nintendo is now in last place. MS tried to reel in devs but it didn't matter because the user base is so small.

I work in wireless. I see the writing on the wall. Windows Phone 10 will be dead in 12 months. Microsoft is going through the motions because they are too proud to admit it is another Zune. Another Windows Vista or Kin. A 23 percent loss in year over year sales after releasing your ace card is not a good sign. Microsoft can eat the loss on the mobile division but the end users will be the ones left holding the bag.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.1K Messages

8 years ago

@allyn_cj

@shoe

Get with it fellas!

Microsoft, Motorola, Google, Sony, they are all turning away from the carriers and selling directly.

Microsoft didn't want to sell the XL through carriers, and still doesn't.  If you want it, you can get it direct from Microsoft.

Apple introduced a financing program, and Samsung is rumored to be doing the same this coming year.  

FYI if none of you have been paying attention to the 2 year contract options, they are as dead as the T-Rex. You will pay retail price for your phones from now on.

If you want to pay $850+ for phone just so the carrier can make a $200 profit off the sale, fine.   Makes no sense to me.   I paid almost $900 (upfront, I don't do loans) for the Note 3 I bought from ATT 2 years ago.  Loved the phone, my nephew bought it from me and is enjoying it too.

but....

I bought 2 Nexus 6p direct from Google recently, at under $600 each after taxes, for a flagship phone.  Very easy and pleasant experience too.

David and GLIMMERMAN may think Windows phones are going the way of the dinosaur.  

Maybe.

But they made it clear, repeatedly, if you want the XL, You will have to let go of your prehistoric ideas about buying and just shell out the $699 to Microsoft.  

@ODad is the smart one.  If Windows is going to survive, it will take buyers like him to keep them going.    In the past few years the industry has been flooded with $100 Windows phones (think Blu)    Fast nickels, but no way to build a reputation for the OS.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

I bought my 950 XL directly from the Microsoft store on day one on Thanksgiving Day and I'm loving it ever since. So glad I dont have to depend on ATT for any upgrades, all the upgrades come directly from MS. 2 year contracts are now a thing of the past, dont rely on the carriers. I have now retired my 1520 which is now outdated compared to my 950 XL, I just wish it was the same screen size as the 1520 but overall, I love all the new features of the 950 XL and best of all I got the Display Dock ($99) for free. MS may also release a cover case with a secondary screen for the newer Lumias and I want one!!!

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

@vinnaboy I have a mozo back-cover on order. Been on order since December. I'm told it'll ship next week? 

Yes on a screen size equal to 1520 would have been nice but... I believe what you are going to see is that the 6" device will be Surface Phone which is really the phone I want. Probably will not see that until maybe 4Q of this year. On that device Contiuum will really show out. Microsoft  did a big co-Annouoncement yesterday with SalesForce and their new application showing off Continuum on the 950 XL. If you've not noticed, there have been several Universal Apps released in the past couple of weeks; Continuum shows promise

Microsoft has too many Lumia devices; and they've recently stated they are going to cut back on the number of "Lumia" Devices. I think that means no L1550 and the Surface Phone takes over for anything >5.7". We'll have to wait and see if a Surface Phone show up on AT&T. Even if it does, I'd buy direct.

Like you, I'm tired of how AT&T handles updates of phones and this includes both Windows and Android. The iPhone I carry is on Verizon and Apple releases updates when they want to. I assume the same is true on AT&T. The 950 on AT&T was updated at the same time Microsoft released that System update and I believe firmware update too so... the days of the Carrier controlling the updates may be over; at least for Apple and Microsoft customers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.