Troubleshoot your device issues
petercreasey's profile

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

Thursday, October 10th, 2013 10:04 PM

Version 10.2 avail when w/AT&T

Is there any word when Version 10.2 might be available from AT&T for our Q10s?

Thanks!

. . . . .  Pete

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

10 years ago

Perhaps because carriers typically stagger the releases.

. . . . Pete

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

Pete:
I think that you know that that is not the lesson that was learned here. The support proven is unfortunately that of last place. I am not ready to give AT&T that atta boy yet. I am however, glad that this ordeal is over...for now.

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

10 years ago

Does anyone know why AT&T made this 10.2.1.2179 update mandatory?

. . . . . Pete

ACE - Guru

• 

1.2K Messages

10 years ago

@petercreasey wrote:

Does anyone know why AT&T made this 10.2.1.2179 update mandatory?

. . . . . Pete

I've seen others post about it somehow being "mandatory".  No reason given that I've seen.

My assumption is that there was a buffer stack-overflow security issue that went back to early versions of 10.1 - and the official AT&T version (up until the 10.2.1 they just released) was affected.

Thing is, it was an obscure bug that required only 2 specific instances to occur before it could be exploited, and both required having physical access to the phone, and the phone to be in "developer mode".

This was not the Heartbleed bug, but another bug altogether different.  Still, perhaps, it was what prompted AT&T to push the new update - and because it was considered a security issue, could be why it was made mandatory.  After all, they were the last carrier in the world to have the affected OS as the official OS.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.