alanudi's profile

Tutor

 • 

4 Messages

Tue, Jun 17, 2014 5:22 PM

Using Nexus 4 on AT&T

Hi, I've tried to research this as much as possible, but I haven't found a thread out there that addresses this key tidbit...

All AT&T reps have told me that if I switch to AT&T that my Nexus 4 will only be capable of 2G speeds. Can anyone help me confirm this? I'm on T-Mobile and I need better service!!
hydrogen3

Scholar

 • 

181 Messages

8 y ago

alanudi,

 

The AT&T reps, are correct. You may have to purchase a new phone if switching carriers.

Tutor

 • 

4 Messages

8 y ago

Thanks for the reply 🙂

 

This is so confusing to me because if you search Google for "using Nexus 4 on AT&T" or something like that, it's a whole bunch of conversations about how to change activate LTE, and change settings and such.

So apparently it's possible somehow, how could it be possible that some people think you can use only 2G, while others are clearly using HSPA, and LTE?


Thanks again for helping to clear this up!!

ATRIXGUY

Teacher

 • 

26 Messages

8 y ago

You can get HSPA+ speeds I have a Nexus 4 on AT&T just have to get a IME number for a HSPA or LTE phone I used a LG2 IME from a AT&T phone at one of there stores to be on the right data plan and have no problems.
dmapr

ACE - Expert

 • 

6.4K Messages

8 y ago


@alanudi wrote:

Thanks for the reply 🙂

 

This is so confusing to me because if you search Google for "using Nexus 4 on AT&T" or something like that, it's a whole bunch of conversations about how to change activate LTE, and change settings and such.

So apparently it's possible somehow, how could it be possible that some people think you can use only 2G, while others are clearly using HSPA, and LTE?


Thanks again for helping to clear this up!!


@alanudi, the latest firmware for Nexus 4 disables the LTE hack you may've read about. As the ATRIXGUY says, you can get HSPA+ speeds on the Nexus 4, which is 3G, not 2G.

Tutor

 • 

4 Messages

8 y ago

Thanks for the replies!!

OK, just so I'm clear, if I switch to AT&T, I can put a sim in and get HSPA+? and that's without doing any funky hacking or taking IMEI's from other phone?
If so, that would make me want to switch 🙂

dmapr

ACE - Expert

 • 

6.4K Messages

8 y ago


@alanudi wrote:

Thanks for the replies!!

OK, just so I'm clear, if I switch to AT&T, I can put a sim in and get HSPA+? and that's without doing any funky hacking or taking IMEI's from other phone?
If so, that would make me want to switch 🙂


That's what it was like when Nexus 4 came out, I doubt that AT&T has changed anything since then.

ATRIXGUY

Teacher

 • 

26 Messages

8 y ago

I used an AT&T phone IME just to make sure I was on the right data plan to get HSPA+ speeds if you are not on the right data plan you might not get HSPA+ speed. You can use any phones IME number friends or one of the display phones at AT&T Store just make sure it's a HSPA+ or LTE phone. You won't get LTE speed but you will be on the right data plan. I average 9MB
ATRIXGUY

Teacher

 • 

26 Messages

8 y ago

I've had the Nexus 4 since it came out when I first used it on AT&T there system wouldn't recognize my IMEI number so I used the LG2 IMEI number from the in-store model and haven't had any problems

Tutor

 • 

4 Messages

8 y ago


@hydrogen3 wrote:

@alanudi,

 

The AT&T reps, are correct. You may have to purchase a new phone if switching carriers.


OK, so I've officially plugged in the AT&T sim card, reboot the phone, and I now have "H" next to my signal, which some people call 3.5G or 4G depending on which day of the week it is.

 

Definitely NOT limited to 2G.  I hope AT&T can update their internal information. This was way too hard to figure out such a simple thing 😛

dmapr

ACE - Expert

 • 

6.4K Messages

8 y ago


@alanudi wrote:

 

OK, so I've officially plugged in the AT&T sim card, reboot the phone, and I now have "H" next to my signal, which some people call 3.5G or 4G depending on which day of the week it is.

 

Definitely NOT limited to 2G.  I hope AT&T can update their internal information. This was way too hard to figure out such a simple thing 😛


 @alanudi, thanks much for confirming HSPA+ access still doesn't require any special config.

Contributor

 • 

1 Message

7 y ago

 

@alanudi wrote:

@hydrogen3 wrote:

@alanudi,

 

The AT&T reps, are correct. You may have to purchase a new phone if switching carriers.


OK, so I've officially plugged in the AT&T sim card, reboot the phone, and I now have "H" next to my signal, which some people call 3.5G or 4G depending on which day of the week it is.

 

Definitely NOT limited to 2G.  I hope AT&T can update their internal information. This was way too hard to figure out such a simple thing 😛


Can you please let me know what your speeds are for that? I am possibly switching from a contract plan to the mobile share plan, and need a new phone, but I'm not about to pay $500+ for a phone, so I'm considering the Nexus 4, but I'm getting all sorts of mixed information as to how well it works on AT&T. Thanks!

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

 • 

22.7K Messages

7 y ago

get a nexus 5 and you will get lte and it works just fine I have one.

Contributor

 • 

1 Message

6 y ago

Nexus 4 can run on H, as shown in picture below. Sorry, rooted device, but I did not mess up the signal.image.png

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.