Troubleshoot your device issues
Argelius's profile

Scholar

• 

20 Messages

Friday, November 29th, 2013 6:20 PM

Using a Verizon iPhone 5 on ATT, while signing up for a new Android phone

I switched from ATT to Verzion a couple of years ago and, after moving into a new house, I'm finding my Verizon service is crap and I'm ready to move back to ATT.

I currently have a (Verizon) iPhone 5. 

I am thinking of taking the opportunity to sign up for a new ATT account and trying out an Android phone. (I'm a gadget nut, so enjoy playing with new things).

I understand that my Verizon iPhone is "unlocked" and will work with ATTs cellular bands.  I'm a little unclear about the data side of things. Some people/sources say the Verizon phone can't connect with ATT's LTE network, but will work with 4G-HSPA+ (which is slower); elsewhere people say that 4G-HSPA+ is equivalent to LTE.

Anyway - on to my main question.  If I sign up with a new ATT plan and get an Android phone, will I be able to switch back and forth (by swapping out SIM cards) between the Android and the old iPhone? (I understand I can only use one phone at a time!)

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Dear Argelius,

Short answer: Yes

The iphone 5, uses a nano sim. If that's what your Android uses, sure.

The Android data plan configurations is really different than the one for the iphone, so that may additionally hobble your ability to use data while switch.

(IE, if your account is setup for an android data plan, works fine with Android, but not so much on iPhone, vice versa as well)

If the sim fits and you're not too worried about data, yes.

-Alex

Scholar

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks! I think I'm understanding things now.  Think my plan is, perhaps, a little too convoluted.  As I have found, very few Android phones use the nanoSIM cards (most are larger), so I'll probably just stick with Verizon at this point.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

The iPhone 5 sold by Verizon will work on AT&T, yes. 🙂 However, you will not be able to use LTE because the device lacks Band 4 and 17.

HSPA+ is the 2nd best thing. 🙂 Speeds can reach about 8mbps download on average. 🙂

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hello Sunshine -

I have just switched from Verizon to AT&T.  I took 3 Verizon iPhones over with me.  The iPhone 5s has switched perfectly so far.  The iPhone 5 ( 2 of them ) that I switched, not so much.  In regards to your post and other info I have gathered so far, voice capabilities work great but data ( cellular data only I believe - using wifi at the house works ) capabilities are poor to nil.  What steps, if any, can I take to get those phones up to their best possible potential ( I realize they may never work as fast as previously ) - or should I work on selling those and acquiring AT&T models?  Thanks for any info....

Gump

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

@Gump

What exactly is going on with the iPhone 5 models? What is the issues? You should be seeing 4G HSPA+ speeds on those phones.

The iPhone 5s can take full advantage of LTE and HSPA+ so great to hear that one is working well! 🙂

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I agree that they should be performing better.  I had read somewhere that the 'APN information unique to each carrier' may need to be updated.  The problem lies in that I do not know what that information is or how to update it on my phone if I had the information.

As for what the issues are -  'unable to connect to the network' when you open Safari, unable to get any data download when you use apps that are looking for data, and outgoing text messages take minutes to send, if at all.  Thanks for the reply.

Gump

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

@Gump

How odd! I would make sure the appropriate plans are in place for those two devices. May I ask if you are on a postpaid plan or a prepaid plan?

Try resetting the network settings and see if that helps (NOTE: all wifi passwords will be forgotten). You can do this by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Let us know it that helps!

If all of the above do not help, I would suggest getting a new SIM card as that can also be the problem. Have the rep look over the phone to make sure everything is running smoothly 🙂

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Not sure what is meant with post or pre paid plans.  Just month to month, no contract.  Still have to try your fixes, and get an accurate assessment of the results from the kid.   As the reports trickle in, it seems like there is data connectivity, just spotty and slow.  Signal strength is consistently 2 dots less then the 5s on LTE.  Not real sure on the relationship of signal strength and data speed however.

Thanks    Gump

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Gump wrote:

Not sure what is meant with post or pre paid plans.  Just month to month, no contract.  Still have to try your fixes, and get an accurate assessment of the results from the kid.   As the reports trickle in, it seems like there is data connectivity, just spotty and slow.  Signal strength is consistently 2 dots less then the 5s on LTE.  Not real sure on the relationship of signal strength and data speed however.

Thanks    Gump

post = Mobile shared plan w/ a certain data allocation and a charge for the device

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html?tab=2&WT.srch=1&wtPaidSearchTerm=can+you+share+data+att+family+plan#fbid=2H5v2VzPzpi

pre-paid = gophone, when you pay for a specific service

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

Signal strength is key, the lower the number of bars (signal strenth) the lower the speed, it will drop from LTE to HSPDA + to 3G to 2G(EDGE)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

YES! has nothing to do with the operating system ( Android) it has to with your package ( DATA plan>>

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.