For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
M

• 

1 Message

Monday, January 27th, 2020 4:25 PM

Unwanted text messages from email

Hi, I am receiving unwanted text messages from an email address. These are becoming more and more numerous. Unfortunately I cannot forward them to the customer service number because the phone won't allow me to. Also, there is no phone number that I can see for me to forward it to. Every spam text comes from a different email.

I'm attaching a screenshot of one I received from [email scrubbed] The messages are usually from hotmail accounts. And as you can see, I can't block the number since it isn't a number nor can I forward it. No option to forward comes up. What can be done about this? They are becoming more and more frequent. The person at the AT&T stores I may need to change my number. That is not an option.

FYI I am using a Samsung Galaxy S9.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

Forward them to 7726 (SPAM). When you are prompted for the sending phone number, replay with the originating email address.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I have an iPhone and resolved this issue.

You can't forward them to SPAM because they didn't originate as a text message and you can't forward the email address because it's not an email message - it's a TEXT message.

So what you have to do is block text messages that originate from emails.

You need to CALL ATT support and have them disable this feature - there is no end-user feature to do this. Have the technicians look up ATT internal support article 446389 which walks the technician through the process.

I went through this process and it resolved my issue - but it did take me ~30 minutes on the phone with several techs to get it done.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

You can't forward them to SPAM because they didn't originate as a text message

Not sure why you can’t. I have successfully forwarded spam texts from email to SPAM.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Ah ... let me clarify ... they won't do you any good forwarding to SPAM because they are coming from a faked/hacked email address.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

If you say so. I just know I’ve never gotten another text from the email addresses I’ve reported.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.