Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Troubleshoot your device issues
creativenw's profile

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Mar 12, 2022 12:30 AM

unlocking a flip phone - cust serv rep said "you can't"

Switching from AT&T to TMobile.  2 lines ported easily.  My mom has a Tinno U102AA (Cingular) flip phone.  It's asking for a NCK code (18 digits, I believe).  NO ONE at AT&T knows what I'm talking about.  In fact, the last cust serv rep told me (while she was laughing), "flip phones, this one included, can't be unlocked."  After spending 1/2 my day on the phone with AT&T and TMobile cust serv reps, I couldn't find the words to speak and just said, "thank you"...and hung up the phone.  The phone is in the "process" of being unlocked (it's been 4 days) but who knows if I should just go buy my mom a new/unlocked flip phone.  Where can I obtain the NCK code (Network Control Key)?  And can the Tinno phone actually be unlocked or am I wasting my time?  

ACE - Sage

• 

100.2K Messages

7 m مضت

You do not call to unlock an AT&T phone. You request through the online portal.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

If you have already entered an unlocked phone multiple times, and are being asked for MCK code, that means someone entered the wrong unlock code multiple times and the phone can no longer be unlocked.

• 

2 Messages

7 m مضت

They said they phone was unlocked.  Also, the screen says “10 attempts” before being locked out.  Perhaps my mom was entering random #s unbeknownst to me.  And the phone is still asking for the NCK code, I’m “assuming” it hasn’t hit the 10 attempts.  I’ve since applied to have the phone unlocked (perhaps it was never unlocked)…that’s been 5 days.  I’m paying for a service that she’s not using.  I’m just gonna purchase her a new flip phone…

• 

3 Messages

2 m مضت

Creativenw, how did this turn out?  I’m having the exact same problem with that phone right now!!!

ACE - Sage

• 

100.2K Messages

2 m مضت

@lazzarin26

She indicated in her last post that her mother may have entered multiple wrong codes which is why the phone was asking for the nck or MCK code.   The mck code is the master unlock code which is requested if you have permanently locked the phone by entering the incorrect unlock code multiple times.

AT&T does not have the mck code and the manufacturer, Tinno, cannot give it to you.

• 

2 Messages

2 m مضت

So actually, here’s the deal.  I have this phone, I’ve asked ATT to unlock it and it’s been 2 weeks and they keep giving me excuses why this hasn’t been done yet (“we’re still working on it, we’re going to escalate this for you, you haven’t used the phone for 60 days yet (which wasn’t true / have had this phone on my account for over a year!!).

so anyway, I’m in process of switching to to mobile.  Just for the (Edited per community guidelines) of it the other day; I took out the ATT Sim Card and put in the T Mobilr Sim Card I was given for my new account.  When i put this other SIM card in, I get that NCK message.   It was asking for this code in order to proceeed.  From what I’ve read, this is the unlock code you’d need in order to be able to use another carrier.  I never put in any codes before that that would make this message came up.  So I believe this is just an ‘unlock’ situation; and so wanted to see how CreativeNw’s situation played out?  Did ATT do anything for you?  Did they unlock the phone?   Anything???   Thanks…

(edited)

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.