Troubleshoot your device issues
creativenw's profile

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, March 12th, 2022 12:30 AM

unlocking a flip phone - cust serv rep said "you can't"

Switching from AT&T to TMobile.  2 lines ported easily.  My mom has a Tinno U102AA (Cingular) flip phone.  It's asking for a NCK code (18 digits, I believe).  NO ONE at AT&T knows what I'm talking about.  In fact, the last cust serv rep told me (while she was laughing), "flip phones, this one included, can't be unlocked."  After spending 1/2 my day on the phone with AT&T and TMobile cust serv reps, I couldn't find the words to speak and just said, "thank you"...and hung up the phone.  The phone is in the "process" of being unlocked (it's been 4 days) but who knows if I should just go buy my mom a new/unlocked flip phone.  Where can I obtain the NCK code (Network Control Key)?  And can the Tinno phone actually be unlocked or am I wasting my time?  

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

2 years ago

You do not call to unlock an AT&T phone. You request through the online portal.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

If you have already entered an unlocked phone multiple times, and are being asked for MCK code, that means someone entered the wrong unlock code multiple times and the phone can no longer be unlocked.

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

They said they phone was unlocked.  Also, the screen says “10 attempts” before being locked out.  Perhaps my mom was entering random #s unbeknownst to me.  And the phone is still asking for the NCK code, I’m “assuming” it hasn’t hit the 10 attempts.  I’ve since applied to have the phone unlocked (perhaps it was never unlocked)…that’s been 5 days.  I’m paying for a service that she’s not using.  I’m just gonna purchase her a new flip phone…

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Creativenw, how did this turn out?  I’m having the exact same problem with that phone right now!!!

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

2 years ago

@lazzarin26

She indicated in her last post that her mother may have entered multiple wrong codes which is why the phone was asking for the nck or MCK code.   The mck code is the master unlock code which is requested if you have permanently locked the phone by entering the incorrect unlock code multiple times.

AT&T does not have the mck code and the manufacturer, Tinno, cannot give it to you.

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

So actually, here’s the deal.  I have this phone, I’ve asked ATT to unlock it and it’s been 2 weeks and they keep giving me excuses why this hasn’t been done yet (“we’re still working on it, we’re going to escalate this for you, you haven’t used the phone for 60 days yet (which wasn’t true / have had this phone on my account for over a year!!).

so anyway, I’m in process of switching to to mobile.  Just for the (Edited per community guidelines) of it the other day; I took out the ATT Sim Card and put in the T Mobilr Sim Card I was given for my new account.  When i put this other SIM card in, I get that NCK message.   It was asking for this code in order to proceeed.  From what I’ve read, this is the unlock code you’d need in order to be able to use another carrier.  I never put in any codes before that that would make this message came up.  So I believe this is just an ‘unlock’ situation; and so wanted to see how CreativeNw’s situation played out?  Did ATT do anything for you?  Did they unlock the phone?   Anything???   Thanks…

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

9 months ago

I'm having the same problem and have gone down the same path. AT&T sent me to Alcatel who sent me to Tinno and the number they gave me is always busy. Anyone have any idea on how to unlock this phone? 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 months ago

@jsmphl 

No one but att can unlock an att phone.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

If you are having a problem getting an unlock code through the link above, as a current customer or as a non customer, please post what it is that is hanging you up.

You should be aware that some phones cannot be unlocked anymore. Older iPhones that are no longer supported by Apple cannot be unlocked because the process of unlocking completes through Apple servers. The Amazon fire phone, and most 2G, and many 3g phones will not have unlock codes available

• 

3 Messages

9 months ago

This is a Tinno U102AA flip phone. AT&T insists it is unlocked. They said it is an Alcatel phone and to contact them. Alcatel said it's not theirs as it is a Tinno phone. The device unlock page does not work because it's a prepaid phone. When entering the number and name it says unfound. This is my 91 year old mother's phone. She's had this number since Cingular days. AT&T has swapped the phone  a few times due to network changes. She's had this one for over a year since the 3G to 4G conversion. For prepaid they say to download the unlock app. But there is no app for this phone as it runs Kai OS. Nothing pre-installed or in the app store. I've been going round and round with AT&T for over a week now. It sounds like this phone cannot be unlocked unless there is some magic no one knows about. I'm having the same problem as other posters above. No one has shared their final outcome. Probably time to get a new unlocked phone for her. I was hoping I could use this for another provider without having Mom learn a new device. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 months ago

This is a Tinno U102AA flip phone. AT&T insists it is unlocked.

Why do you think it's locked?  (It likely is, but have you tried another sim)

They said it is an Alcatel phone and to contact them.

No

Alcatel said it's not theirs as it is a Tinno phone.

No, manufacturers cannot unlock phones 

The device unlock page does not work because it's a prepaid phone.

Not true.  It it does not matter whether it is postpaid or prepaid the unlock portal works for all locked phones.

When entering the number and name it says unfound.

Does she still have active service? If not you should be selecting no and unlocking as a non-customer.

Does the information requested match that of the account owner?  If she has a prepaid account, her information should be in her online account. Log in and check on the pay go online website. If she is on your postpaid account you should be entering your information as account owner and your security PIN code when asked

This is my 91 year old mother's phone. She's had this number since Cingular days. AT&T has swapped the phone  a few times due to network changes. She's had this one for over a year since the 3G to 4G conversion. For prepaid they say to download the unlock app. But there is no app for this phone as it runs Kai OS.

Correct.  You must use the portal

Nothing pre-installed or in the app store. I've been going round and round with AT&T for over a week now

If nothing that I have posted puts you on the right track you can file an FCC complaint online. The complaint is forwarded back to AT&t upper management and someone will contact you.

You should be aware that these prepaid phones are very limited. It will work in all of North America and it may work on T-Mobile. It does not have compatible bands to work on Verizon, or any of its mvnos, and may not work in Europe or Asia. 

• 

3 Messages

9 months ago

I have a sim from a mvno that runs on the TMobile network and works in another phone. After putting it in this phone it asks for a NCK code, just like LouLazz above. The AT&T sim is active and works in this phone. Mom has an active account with the correct number and name. Logging in shows that info with the correct balance. 

I tried the portal several ways. Yes to customer, entered phone number and name - customer not found. No to customer, entered IMEI, name, number, email - phone is active on another account and has to be removed from the other account first. (Edited per community guidelines)ed if I do and (Edited per community guidelines)ed if I don't. So I think the portal does not work for this phone.

Portal instructions say:

Is an AT&T Prepaid® phone with six months of service on the AT&T network. You must submit your unlock request using the most recent version of the AT&T Device Unlock app.

But there is no app for this phone. So it appears I'm (Edited per community guidelines). I'll double check the IMEI tomorrow, but I think we hit a brick wall.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.