Troubleshoot your device issues
J

• 

4 Messages

Monday, January 24th, 2022 5:10 PM

Unlocked International Phone LTE Compatible?

I've been informed that my current phone, a Huawei P30, will no longer work on AT&T next month. I've been using this phone for a while now and I love it. I'm devastated that it won't work anymore despite it being LTE compatible. From my understanding, AT&T is not allowing some Huawei phones on it's LTE network. I don't understand that all. There are two Huawei phones listed on the compatible list but they are terrible phones. 

I'm looking for one that I can switch SIM cards on when I'm traveling in another country. 

Are there any compatible phones that allow that? I've been told various things that AT&T isn't allowing unlocked phones anymore. Someone even told me they are doing away with SIM cards. 

This is enough to make me switch carriers, but I wanted to be sure before I do so. If I can't have this phone anymore, then I guess AT&T can't have my business.

I live in a very rural area where AT&T works the best and several people I know have also been told they have to upgrade their phone because of the LTE upgrade. Just kind of insane this is even happening when we still have people in the country using dial up and DSL. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

That company is banned by the US Gov.

It is a nice phone but yes ATT will not allow it anymore.

Here is a list of phones that are cleared for use on the ATT network.

https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Service-Capabilities-Unlocked-Devices-ATT-Network.pdf

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

So all of these unlocked phones will work? It's odd that ZTE also got banned but it's on the list. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

2 years ago

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

That article is from 2019. This just happened in Nov 2021. 

US President Joe Biden on Thursday signed into law bipartisan legislation that will ban companies like Huawei and ZTE from getting approval for network equipment licences in the US.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/us-president-biden-signs-law-to-ban-huawei-and-zte-from-receiving-fcc-licences/

So what I don't understand is these are no longer approved phones, yet I can still buy them in the US....and not only that....AT&T does have Huawei and ZTE phones on their approved list. 

https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

@jasonglisson 

That is network gear.  Huawei is banned from doing business with ANY us company.

All those H and ZTE phones are OLD not new.

And you can't really buy Huawei phones in the USA they are imported by none US companies.

Also that list you posted has phones ATT has sold.  They did sell some ZTE and H phones about 3 to 4 years ago.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Alright. I just bought a Pixel 6 and I'm switching to Google Fi. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

2 years ago

@jasonglisson

Huawei and ZTE make a lot more than just mobile devices. They make a lot of networking equipment that up until the ban is used on cell towers.  That ban put Verizon way behind their original planned full 5g deployment, because they were relying very heavily on Huawei for 5g equipment.  Instead of having the most robust 5G Network , their 5G networks is a joke.  Verizon has once again moved their 3-g shut down to the end of yet another calendar year. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.