Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
V

• 

1 Message

Wed, Aug 5, 2020 9:50 PM

Unlock paid off phone from a shared account

Hi, I'm having issues getting my phone unlocked due to an unpaid balance that isn't mine to pay.

For clarification, I'm currently under the same plan as a friend of mine and while I've been keeping up with my end of the monthly payments he has apparently fallen several months behind. My phone is paid off though so I was trying to unlock it so I could just take it over to a different plan or service as there's no way I can pay off his accrued debt of $1000 but apparently I can't do that until HE pays of HIS debt. This hardly seems right considering I'm just a secondary name on the account and my phone as said earlier has been completely paid off for ownership. Is there anyway I can keep my fully paid for phone without having to pay off a debt that isn't even mine?

Responses

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

42K Messages

2 months ago

Since the phone is paid off, what might work is if the phone you want unlocked is no longer associated with the account and you can submit the unlock request as a non customer. If you have another phone you can use, put your SIM card in that phone. Once the account updates to show that phone, your unlock request as a non customer might work. If service is suspended, I’m not sure moving the SIM card to a different phone will work.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question