We Still Have Great Cyber Week Deals: Check out our $5 and under smartphone deals!
The best prices for our Military families
Troubleshoot your device issues
Rockthedesigner's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Sep 24, 2018 5:23 PM

Unlock for international travel vs unlock for domestic?

I am traveling in Japan using my prepaid handset and I tried to unlock my phone and insert a SIM card from a Japanese carrier. The unlock said it was successful but when I put the Japanese SIM in it did not work. I took it to the manager and he showed me it worked on other phones and said it was a problem with my phone specifically. He claims that sometimes when you unlock a phone the carrier only unlocks it for domestic use and I might need to request a specific international use phone unlocking. Is this true, and if so how do I do it?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

60.9K Messages

4 years ago

No such thing with ATT. Unlocked is unlocked. Your phone is likely not compatible with that carrier.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Hey sandblaster,

thanks for for the response. Now I am thinking it may be a phone issue? Yesterday I went to a bic camera and tried a different brand of SIM and even had a technician help me with it and had the exact same problem as with the first brand. It shows it is searching for a signal and then after a while just displays an x next to my empty bars.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.