For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
drlogic1's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, January 30th, 2024 5:16 AM

Unlock an old phone (LG M-150)

I have an old LG Pheonix-3 M-150 that used to be on an AT&T account (I have had at least 3 identical phones and 4 AT&T cell phone accounts.) So, I'm not sure which account this phone used to be on.  Regardless, it been sitting collecting dust and hasn't been used on a carrier for a few years now.  I'm trying to give it to my daughter to use as a beginner phone on a cheap network, but can't seem to get it unlocked.  AT&T's unlock page keeps telling me that I've tried to unlock it too many times and that I need to wait 24 hours.  Doesn't matter how long I wait, it keeps telling me that I need to wait 24 hours to submit another request.  I can wait a week and it still tells me this.  Do I have any recourse to get this thing unlocked from AT&T's network?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

3 months ago

1.  Since the phone is not in use you should be requesting the unlock as a non-customer.  Not that it will work

2. The IMEI is no longer registered because it hasn't been used in several years. So every time you submit an unlock request AT&T does not recognize the IMEI.  

3.  Have you checked its IMEI on your intended service provider? Because if it's age and predating the 3G shut off, it may not be permitted on other US carriers.  

4.  The m150 is a 6-year-old device. Which means it predates the 3G shutdown. It is a limited LTE device, so other service providers are likely to not allow it because of its age and limits.  I don't know what other service provider you're trying to use it on, but it's best chance is an AT&T MVNO (There are at least two dozen AT&T MVNOs, including $5 a month plans with an AT&T SIM through red pocket).    It does not have to be unlocked to work on an AT&T MVNO.

The phone has limited bands, so limited function outside of the USA.   It might work in South America, it will never and has never been a capable world phone for use anywhere else in the world other than North and South America.  

If you are still desperate to get the device carrier unlocked, your best bet is probably to call AT&T and explain what is going on with the unlock portal. They will have to research the IMEI to verify that it has completed 6 months of prepaid service, making it eligible for unlocking.    

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.