Troubleshoot your device issues
KingPopinLockin's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, February 26th, 2018 4:45 AM

Unlimited Plus Plan HotSpot Data Usage When Uploading or Using PC to Watch 480p Video

I have a couple of questions about the data usage when using the hotspot function of my smartphone.  I know I get 22GB of data to use before it slows down but:

Is my data used when uploading anything such as video?

and

Is my data used if I'm using my phone as a hotspot for my PC and watching 480p videos on sites such as Youtube through the stream saver?

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

@ATTCaresthat does not mine up at all with what are&t has all over their website. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.1K Messages

6 years ago

@KingPopinLockin wrote:

I have a couple of questions about the data usage when using the hotspot function of my smartphone.  I know I get 22GB of data to use before it slows down but:

Data MIGHT slow down at 22 gigs, not will....

Is my data used when uploading anything such as video?   Yes 

and

Is my data used if I'm using my phone as a hotspot for my PC and watching 480p videos on sites such as Youtube through the stream saver?   Yes.

@KingPopinLockin

BTW your post was moved from internet (wrong forum) to Wireless (correct forum).  Cell phones, tables and other devices using MOBILE DATA are WIRELESS.   Internet is the wired home internet service.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

An answer has already been found

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@KingPopinLockin wrote:

There are times when you aren't using data.  When using the direct tv app for instance. 

But you're not asking about that, because you know about that.

When watching video that is 480p resolution or lower, that's the "stream saver" service they provide.  But that's when watching it on my phone using my 4G data. 

This still counts as data.

I want to know if stream saver works when using hotspot data because they are not clear about that.

I believe stream saver works when using hotspot data. If it senses a stream it can downgrade, it downgrades it. Not ALL streams are lowered to 480. Regardless, this still counts as data from your plan.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.