Troubleshoot your device issues
vntr's profile

8 Messages

Tuesday, August 1st, 2023 12:45 PM

Unbinding the phone from the operator

Hello, I have a Blackberry Classic phone, if I apply for unlocking, the site gives me a model if I enter the model, and then they write to me that this phone does not exist, check the data.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 months ago

The Blackberry Classic phone is no longer supported so AT&T no longer has the IMEI in the their database.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Guru

• 

1.2K Messages

9 months ago

@vntr 

Lithuania?

Then you have other issues with that phone. Even if you got it unlocked, there's the frequency band issue.

AT&T's Classic (SQC100-2) uses a very small set of bands specific to the US market.  Those bands are not used by carriers in Northeastern Europe. There may be one or two that overlap, but from what I've read, even Lithuanian carriers are shutting down their 3G services.

Either return that thing and get your money back, or toss it in the trash.

Or, sell it yourself back to someone in the US. Believe it or not, there are BlackBerry phone collectors who will pay for that thing - two hour battery life and all.

(edited)

8 Messages

9 months ago

ok, how do i unlock it then?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 months ago

You probably don’t. That’s such an old phone, what carrier do you think it will work on? 

8 Messages

9 months ago

if it is not blocked, then with any

8 Messages

9 months ago

I ordered it from ebay, but it came blocked

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 months ago

actually BB no longer makes phones the phone can't be unlocked by ATT as it was never activated on ATT so it does not have the IMEI in the database PLUS the fact the unlock codes are purged.  And 

8 Messages

9 months ago

in the settings, the operator is unlocked, but the phone itself does not want to read sims and writes enter the unlock code to receive calls

8 Messages

9 months ago

I bought the phone used

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 months ago

Enjoy your PDR (personal data recorder)

It's not AT&T support or unlocking that's the problem It's the lack of blackberry support. Old blackberry classic phones, even if unlocked can no longer have a data plan added, and can't function for talk or text without it.

There are three kinds of data plans, those for Android phones, those for iPhones, and the secure plan (BIS) for blackberry phones. Your old blackberry classic is not an Android or an iPhone it has to have a BlackBerry data plan. Blackberry no longer supports those old data plans, neither do carriers. The only blackberries that will still work anywhere are those that are running Android software.

As for getting the phone unlocked, you might be able to get it unlocked if you file an FCC complaint. But again blackberry no longer supports the device which means they may have purged any unlock codes. AT&T certainly does not have those unlock codes anymore.  And they definitely don't have the IMEI of unsupported devices still in their database.

It's up to you if you want to go through the time and trouble. If you're not an AT&T customer, AT&T is likely not going to want to work with you. They're going to insist that if you want a phone unlocked you have to contact the original owner of the phone, it's unlikely the eBay seller can provide an original purchase receipt as a valid AT&T customer.

All that for a phone you can't use as a phone.

https://spectrumnews1.com/ky/louisville/technology/2022/01/04/blackberry-cuts-support--services-on-smartphones

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.