Daveuk100's profile
Daveuk100
#1 Star!
Helpful 1

Mentor

• 

22 Messages

Mon, Dec 26, 2016 2:57 AM

Swapping SIM between S7 Edge and iPhone 7 - activation issues?

Hi all,

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge on AT&T Next 1 year plan (still paying for it monthly) but as a phone enthusiast/reviewer I also just got hold of a iPhone 7 Plus direct from Apple (no contract).

My plan was to just to use the phones interchangably by swapping my existing AT&T sim card between the S7 and the iPhone 7 Plus whenever I felt like using one or the other. However, on taking the sim card out of the S7 and putting it into the Galaxy, I now have "No service" on the iPhone 7 and putting the sim card back into S7 doesn't work eiher (says SIM not provisioned). 

I assume i need to call AT&T to explain what i'm doing and get the activation worked out, but I am just curious....are they going to be a pain about this? Has anyone else done this with a AT&T Next phone? I know sim card swapping usually works fine when you are totally off-contract (I used to do this all the time with previous phones on AT&T) but this is my first time trying to swap the sim card from a phone under AT&T Next contract and I have never seen an activation issue like this before. Hoping for good news and that I won't have to return the iPhone 😞 

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Daveuk100

Mentor

• 

22 Messages

6年前

...and resolved, it turns out that I made a silly assumption. I was swapping my same SIM old card from the Galaxy S7 Edge, but apparently the iphone 7 plus which I bought from Apple came with a new AT&T SIM card which got activated the moment I turned on the iPhone (even though that new SIM was not inserted!!!). At the same time when they activated that new SIM, they also deactivated my old SIM.

I have now tried the new SIM from the iPhone 7 plus in both devices and they both work on the AT&T network...so looks like i'm good!

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

6年前

I've never had a problem swapping SIM cards between phone, even iPhone to android.  Even between non att android phones.  I'm not sure why you would have no service. 

Power cycle the phone and see if it reconnects.  

Daveuk100

Mentor

• 

22 Messages

6年前

Heya, Thanks for your response. I've power cycled both phones several times, but no joy. Have you ever tried swapping a AT&T Next SIM into another device? (i.e. a SIM from a device which is still being paid off under the Next program).

I'm going to call AT&T now, will reply back with the outcome...(fingers crossed!)

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

6年前

Ah..that does explain it. ..... tip for next time.  If you buy a phone from Apple at full price, buy the unlocked, sim free version.  The phone you purchased with an ATT SIM card is locked to ATT, and is not compatible with CDMA carriers.  

It is in your best interest to buy an unlocked, universal phone.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5年前

Yeah but I bet hotspot doesn't work, I have S6 active and an iPhone 6s and every time I change phones I have to call them so they can update the IMEI

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

5年前

Thats correct about the Hot Spot.

CC

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.