Troubleshoot your device issues
mrmartin86's profile

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

Friday, October 10th, 2008 4:41 AM

Closed

Sony Ericsson w760 Ringtones INFO!

Okay, I'm going to save everyone a headache when they make mp3 ringtones for their new SE 760 phones. If you are like me and like to make your own ringtones from mp3s, then read on!

At first I thought at&t had blocked personal mp3s from being used as ringtones (stored onto the phones internal memory), but after much playing around, I found that there is a 292kb size limit to the ringtone in order to be played! AND I MEAN EXACTLY 292KB LIMIT (not even a byte over, took a lot of editing to find that out). Aim for <291kb to be safe. If you want to make a longer ringtone, just pick a lower quality to lower the size of the file. The shorter the mp3 is, the better the quality to can have. Again, that is for ringtones being stored on the phone's internal memory (haven't tested the memory cards yet) and being transfered to the phone with SE's PC Suite. I personally use audio editing software to make mine (I use WavePad v3.05), but you are free to use whatever.

Feel free to post about if you find contradicting information, or anything else that could be helpful to the ringtone making world!

Message Edited by mrmartin86 on 10-09-2008 10:01:01 PM

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

I need some help everyone.  I tried what you guys did. I got my file a minuscule 130kb but the phone wont let me use it.  When I'm in Media Manager I try to put the file in the ringtones folder but it keeps deferring and putting itself in its own seperate folder.  Could someone give me a step by step wlktrough with this,  Thanks

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

15 years ago

Funny to see my thread top the charts again...

One thing I can say...make sure all the parameters are correct. And by that I mean:

1) Make sure that it is a mp3 file (others are supported, but mp3 is just universally the best).

2) Stick to the <292kb limit.

3) Make sure it does not have DRM (Digital Right Media, i think) encryption on it. <---

That #3 might be your problem. If it is, find a DRM stripper program, or a reencoding program that will rerecord the song. I personally use Tunebite, but I'm sure there are others out there. Let me know how this works for you!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

Hey martin any idea if there is an application, or if you know how to make an application for the w760 to edit songs to use as a ringtone?

Oh and I tried to mess around with the video ringtones thing to insert a soundtrack and use the video part as either a black screen or an actual video, but it seems that it doesnt work with wma or mp3, only m4a and sound recording, so any idea how long the m4a sound, size, bitrate can be to use as a video-ringtone?

Message Edited by Jase4yaz on 03-04-2009 08:56:48 PM

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

15 years ago

I assume you want to use only a part of a music file for a ringtone. I did this using Windows Movie Maker which comes free with VISTA.  I know it says "movie", but it works with music too.  The details are more than I can go into here.  Basically I imported the music file, trimmed off the parts I didn't want, saved it as a WMA and copied it to my phone's ringtone folder. 

I guess you could use Movie Maker to make a video ringtone too, but the output from Movie Maker has to be converted into a format that the W760 supports.

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

15 years ago

So if I clip the ringtone then can I send it as a mms to my phone?  II keep getting a message that it is not a supported feature.  Right now I used the record feature and put the ringtones on that way but I am sure the quality would be better doing it directly from the file.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

You are probably still going to have to move the clipped MP3 file to your phone using something other than MMS.  I believe at&t has removed MP3's as a supported file type for MMS - probably to encourage users to purchase ringtones from at&t's MediaMall.

Obviously it won't hurt to try sending it to your phone as an MMS - and if it works, great! 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

How does one go about "debranding" or whatever this process is that gets rid of the silly ringtone size limit?  Making ringtones is one of my favorite things, it's such a pain in the rump to change the quality of the music so that it's all fuzzy and gross just so I can use it on my phone...

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

@Heatheroo!! wrote:
How does one go about "debranding" or whatever this process is that gets rid of the silly ringtone size limit?  Making ringtones is one of my favorite things, it's such a pain in the rump to change the quality of the music so that it's all fuzzy and gross just so I can use it on my phone...

Check out DaVinci Team - they offer a debranding service.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

Hey folks, for all of you who uses Rogers services in Canada, you can convert your MP3 to WAVE files and they will act as ringtones.

I have tried about every which way, and this one works.

Simple as that.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.