Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

Mon, Feb 17, 2020 10:42 AM

SIM card malfunction

AT&T has been my carrier for over five years. I have an Android phone that uses a NANO SIM card. I purchased an iPhone 6. When I put the SIM card into my iPhone, I couldn't get service or have it activated, however when I put the card back into my android it works. Why doesn't the SIM card work in the iPhone?

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.3K Messages

2 months ago

Your service and the Sim is provisioned differently. Just go to an AT&T store and get a SIM card for your iPhone.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

Okay, I had them send me one, but it is taking a while for the card to get into the shipping system for some reason.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

36K Messages

Sounds more like the sim was incorrectly inserted into the iPhone. Not able to activate the iPhone would indicate the iPhone was not reading the SIM card. You should not need a new SIM card. The SIM card from your android should work.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
dmapr

ACE - Expert

• 

6.2K Messages

My experience has been like @sandblaster says. Calls, texting and data worked without any additional requirements. To get iPhone-specific features to work (FaceTime for instance) it was necessary to call AT&T and ask them to provision those.

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

@dmapr I got a provisional SIM fro AT&T and it still doesn't work. I think the problem is with the phone. I guess I will try to contact Apple.

dmapr

ACE - Expert

• 

6.2K Messages

@byrongwalker Sorry to hear that. At least Apple is usually pretty good at fixing their problems. If you have a local Apple store you should be able to schedule a service appointment there.

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

I took the phone to an AT&T store and was told that it couldn't be activated on the AT&T system because it was a Verizon phone. They told me to return it to the store I got it from and see if they had an iPhone 6 that would work on the AT&T system. I got another android type phone.

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

@sandblaster I took the phone to an AT&T store and was told that it couldn't be activated on the AT&T system because it was a Verizon phone. They told me to return it to the store I got it from and see if they had an iPhone 6 that would work on the AT&T system. I got another android type phone.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

36K Messages

That information is incorrect. A Verizon iPhone 6 is totally compatible with ATT. It should have activated with no problem unless it was locked to Verizon. There had to be some other reason.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.3K Messages

The iPhone 6 purchased from any us carrier is a universal phone. However it does have to be unlocked to change carriers. Where did you buy it? Call Apple to find out what carrier it's locked to.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

@lizdance40 It was locked by Verizon. They wouldn't unlock it for it to be used with the AT&T system. Besides that, the android I traded it in for seems to be a better phone. https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6378&idPhone2=9736

(edited)

• 

6 Messages

A SIM card is a subscriber identity module. It serves one purpose and one purpose only, and that is to create a fingerprint on the phone for identification. Until the iPhone X started to popularize the eSIM which is more or less integrated inside of a phone and thus preinstalled to that specific device (though of course it can be removed and reused) there wasn't any "standard." You could take an android verizon SIM and make it work in a mac OS desktop if you really had the desire to. That is, assuming it wasn't too big. They come in three standard sizes, with innovation tugging them towards a smaller frame. They can be placed in modifying cases to relenquish that effect but if it is too big it's too big.

The sizes are: standard SIM, micro SIM and nano SIM, in decreasing order of size. What a SIM really is doing is securely storing an international mobile subscriber identity (IMSI) number and its related key for phones. They do this by working to build the function for what is called the universal integrated circuit card (UICC). The SIM also stores an ICCID, which is its unique serial number. Think of it like a MAC or static IP address. But needless to say, it certainly is not an issue of the card not being compatable if anyone else has this issue in the future, The cards can easily be configured for whatever network you need to put it on wirelessly with a software update.

***In some very specific circumstances there may be a firmware type of SIM that is not compatable with a device, but these are stand-alones and it's highly doubtful that anyone on this forum is going to be configuring a device that would fit that description.

Now if I could just get AT&T to help me with my darned SIM I would be in good shape -.-"

GIMME MY PUC/PUK AT&T!!!!

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

@DjN00b Do you know anything about a provisional phone that is designed to work with only one system, say prepaid wireless for Verizon? How is that configured into the phone? The SIM AT&T would not work in the iPhone for prepaid wireless, but the same SIM worked in my android.

• 

6 Messages

SHORT ANSWER LAST TWO PARAGRAPHS.

I'm sorry man... I likely got ahead of myself attempting to be active on the forums to get AT&T to help me with my phone. I mean look you CAN do it but the complication is that why AT&T runs on a GSM (Global system for communications) and Verizon has a CDMA (code division multiple access) which traditionally didn't even use SIM cards (I'm sure you can remember those days). Well now the CDMA guys have to be a part of LTE networks for wireless access, they have sim cards that work for that purpose only.

See the GSM carries (most of the world) use all the identifiers on the SIM and leverage it for connectivity, which means that cell phones connect to it by searching for cells in the immediate vicinity. But CDMA has a system in place that put a heavy concern on privacy rather than efficiency. I won't bogg you down with crap you don't care about, just saying that while for instance, a GSM has a 15 digit IMSI code stored on the the SIM verizon is likely to store that 15 digit code in multiple cell stations and other numberrs of important may be generated on the spot by algorithms. So it takes some tweaking. And since I don't know the legality of said tweaking I will not endorse it nor provide a guide.

But the cool thing about a company like AT&T is that, when you buy a phone from them, you also buy the SIM card. It is all yours and any company who uses GSM you can plug it up and go. My thing is and why I explained it as if it were so easy at first is this: The SIM in the verizon phone is capable of doing the same thing that the SIM in the AT&T phone is.

That means, if you are switching to Verizon from AT&T I can see that they don't want to go about the process of disabling features on a integrated circuit to get your phone to work, most of what it does they have practically built into their phone. But when it is the other way around, and you just want the SIM to perform fully functional in the AT&T phone, I would think that AT&T would have software updates for this.

But let me say in their defense, while I may (or may not) be capable of altering the innerworkings of a SIM card (to a degree, I could access imei databases or anything those are proprietary and would involve hacking and really advanced level stuff), I am only one guy with one phone. To integrate that into a point-of-sale ready software that performed seemlessly with a click or two may be wayyyyy more hassle then its worth if not impossible to do smoothly enough for a customer to opt in for doing it.

Short answer, yes you can but by the time you figured it out on your own you'd probably be elligable to receive your bachelors in telephony networking. Sorry to have been so easy breezy in the first post and mislead you.

One last thing, there are temporary workarounds my guy but I don't THINK, but im not for sure, that you are really suppose to do them... not sure if it's illegal but it probably breaks a policy. And either way those things get patched fairly quickly. But doing anything by taking advantage of temporary flaws in your phone would assume A. you are paying for your service and not stealing from the company. and B. you own the phone that you are modifying.

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

@DjN00b I just found out that Verizon unlocks the phone in question after 60 days from the date of purchase. That is kind of strange.

• 

6 Messages

Yeah, they are always capable of doing that. If they don't they are just trying to coax you into staying or some other alternative motive. Or maybe it just saves on employee man-hours... It actually makes even more sense to do it that way with Verizon being the one to exclude the cards signature from its database and allow it to simply be placed into another one entirely. In the meantime there are forums out there that can explain how to activate it sooner. Which in itself is not illegal (provided you own the phone). But most of those guides are going to also go on to explain how to do it in such a way that you will get free cell service. Problems with that are

A. First and foremost ITS ILLEGAL! lol

B. Much of them (all the free guides) would be scams

C. The real guides are going to cost money, possibly be involved / hands on projects, or if they are an injectable software you'd still have to worry about viruses and (I hope) also have to make sure you could just strip out the part of the program that allowed you to alter the SIM for another carrier and not rip off the telecom companies by stealing cell service.

My advice? Get another card ;P I bet craigslist or something is littered with them. Someone's old burners that he wants to get rid of, SIM included? They are always online at local websites. Or Amazon or a similar service. Either way, I hope it works out for you!

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

@DjN00b maybe I should have thought about that before I took the phone back to the store and exchanged it for a seemingly better phone at the same price. I guess I should have done more research on the iPhone 6 before I bought it. Well, I'm good for now. Maybe when I need another phone I might choose an iPhone.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.3K Messages

@DjN00b, your PUK code is published in your online account. Find it by choosing "managed your device". Alternately, you will have to call or chat with AT&T

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.3K Messages

@byrongwalker wrote: "Do you know anything about a provisional phone that is designed to work with only one system, say prepaid wireless for Verizon? How is that configured into the phone? The SIM AT&T would not work in the iPhone for prepaid wireless, but the same SIM worked in my android"

Your issue was a locked phone , it has absolutely nothing to do with the SIM card. iPhones are locked in apple servers, per the carriers lock policy. It takes permission from the carrier for Apple to process the unlock in their servers.

Currently all carriers lock phones new phones for a minimum of 60 days. Verizon began locking phones as of July 2019. Prepaid phones are locked for 60 days after activation.

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

@lizdance40, yes I know that now. I visited the AT&T store yesterday and they explained it to me.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…