Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
T

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Jul 4, 2020 1:18 PM

Setting up Nighthawk M1 router

I bought a refurbished Nighthawk M1 mobile hotspot and a SIM card on Amazon. I'm trying to add the device to my existing wireless plan but every time I go through the add device flow on the ATT website and enter the SIM/IMEI numbers it asks for the phone number of the device which I don't have.

How do I register a device like this that has a new SIM card but no existing phone number?

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.9K Messages

a month ago

If you're adding a new device you have to add a new line, which will have a number assigned, which apparently you have not done.

Before you do that; What plan are you trying to add this device to?

You cannot add a line for a dedicated hotspot to any of AT&T unlimited plans. If you are trying to do that, don't bother, you can't.

As a standalone device you have to purchase a data connect plan, which is a prepaid plan with a limited amount of data for mobile hotspot devices. If you have an old metered plan you still have to add a line, which will have a phone number assigned to it for a date only device

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

Thanks! I was trying to add it to an unlimited elite plan that I have for my iPad but sounds like that's not possible and I'll need to set it up with a prepaid plan then?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.9K Messages

Youre better off returning the mifi and adding another phone line.
   The prepaid plans for a dedicated hotspot are extremely limited, capped data plans, for too much $$.  
Each of your existing devices can use 30 gigs of tethering, included with your hundred gig threshold.

compared to these Data connect plans

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question