Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!
Troubleshoot your device issues
dMonsta's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, August 25th, 2019 3:48 AM

Problem Unlocking Phone Even After Approval

So I am trying to process an unlock for an AT&T phone (Blackberry Z10) through the website.

The process goes as expected, unlock is approved, I receive an unlock code.

Only one problem - the phone does not accept the code.

It only has 10 tries until it hard locks, and now I have used 4 of those tries, so 6 left.

I triple checked the IMEI, resubmitted the request, and it provides the same code.

I tried the entire code twice, and the first 8 digits twice (advice i read online). Still refuses to accept it.

Anyway, so I called AT&T international customer support, and they refused to help me.

They say that without the original owner's account information, they cannot do anything. Even though the automated system approved the unlock. Usually, they either refuse to even let me provide the unlock request number, or they finally take it but say that it does not match the IMEI.

The phone was purchased second-hand so there is no way I can get in touch with the original owner. And

I remember I used to be able to call AT&T and get help whenever there was a problem. Before they never asked for the original owner's information, and required only minimal information to escalate the issue to a higher level of support (which ALWAYS fixed the problem!). For the past couple of months, however, AT&T customer support has become and endless runaround that gets you nowhere. I have had this experience with several unlock requests lately, so it is not like this phone was specifically flagged or anything.

Is there anything that I can do in this situation to get the real unlock code? Can I get to high level tech support without an AT&T account? Is there anything I can tell them to get them to submit the support ticket as a non-customer?

Any help will be appreciated.

ACE - Sage

• 

104.1K Messages

3 years ago

There is one code given to At&t by the manufacturer for each IMEi.  If the code isn’t working, there isn’t much At&t can do.  You might try a paid service to see if they get a different code.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I appreciate the response.

However, in my experience with AT&T, there IS something they can do. They can submit a support ticket to a higher level support, one that can actually solve the problem. The higher level support will contact you via OKCQSUBUN@att.com once they determine the cause and do what they have to do.

This is almost always necessary for older (cingular) phones, incorrect codes, or unlocks that fail to provide any code when it should. They have access to fix it in any way that the situation requires, including contacting the manufacturer.

The problem is that before anyone could call and have a ticket submitted. Now, it is hidden behind this new and unexplained policy that only the original owner can request it.

It is unfair that I should have to pay a third party unlocker to unlock a phone because of an error in AT&T's database. If I am untitled to an unlock as a non-customer (which has already been approved), I should be entitled to service having that unlock realized if there are any problems - equally as a non-customer.

ACE - Sage

• 

104.1K Messages

3 years ago

@dMonsta   The CTIA agreement does not actually entitle you, or any customer to unlocking.   Carriers weren’t dumb to agree to voluntary unlock.  They knew they could not always unlock phones.  Agreeing to do so if possible was smart, it gives them an out if they can’t.  

‘You can try an fcc complaint.  But it may yield the same number.  

‘At this time At&t cannot unlock iPhone 4 and older, Amazon fire phone or any old 2g phones, phones from brands no longer supported (Sony, Panasonic for example).   

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Right. I wasn't referring to CTIA as much as I was referring to the company's own unlock policies. By their own policies, non-customers are perfectly eligible to request the unlock of an AT&T device. This is demonstrated in the automated system, but customer support is completely incapable of processing such an unlock.

Also, they CAN unlock these Blackberry Z10 phones. If I was the original owner, they would submit a case to tier 2 support or whatever they call it, and it would get sorted out there.

An automated system this large is bound to have glitches or hiccups. The problem is that if any sort of problem arises, it is impossible to have it fixed as a non-customer. Only the original owner can even begin the process of asking for help (presumably because they cannot confirm eligibility without access to the original owner's account), even if the automated system otherwise approves the unlock.

I have been unlocking AT&T phones for years. I have run into many problems with this system before. Wrong codes, iPhone unlocks that didn't actually unlock, unlock requests that returned no unlock code (for non iPhones), unlock requests that did not send the confirmation email or failed to allow you to confirm the request (auto cancels after 24 hours even with confirmation), failure of the system to recognize the IMEI is AT&T even though it IS AT&T and fully eligible to be unlocked, certain phones that simply return a "internal error" on the unlock page that disallows it from being automatically unlocked.

These problems were always easily solved with a call to customer service. Now, that is not an option. So problems that are otherwise an easily-fixed simple technical issue with a complicated system are now permanent, insurpassable barriers to unlocking a phone.

Where customer service used to solve the problem rather quickly/simply, they now simply suggest you return the phone to whoever you bought it from. Or cross an international border to find an AT&T store, so they can presumably tell you the same thing.

To make things worse/more frustrating, I should note that I generally unlock AT&T phones in order to use them on..... AT&T!

However, it is AT&T Mexico. The two companies use different carrier codes, but share a blacklist. So the phone must be clean AND unlocked in order to use it here, even thought it is still AT&T.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.