Uniquely for you. Preorder the new Google Pixel 6.
khunter08's profile
khunter08
Celestial 50!
Supersonic 25!
#1 Star!

Mentor

• 

22 Messages

Tue, Oct 10, 2017 8:43 AM

Nokia 8 on AT&T network

All,

I'm considering purchasing a Nokia 8 overseas and would like to use it on the AT&T network.  Apparently the device will not become available in the US.  Any thoughts?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

89.4K Messages

4 y ago

I wouldn’t expect it to get LTE, even with compatible bands.   The Nokia 6 is sold in the US and getting LTE has been a problem for some users.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

Did you end up with an 8?  I have always liked Nokia and was thinking of getting an 8 as well.  Wanted to see how you faired.

THXS

khunter08

Mentor

• 

22 Messages

4 y ago

RocoSD,

No I decided to wait on the Nokia 9 and see if the USA options were better.  So far my Nokia 920 is holding on, but I only use it for phone calls, email and calendaring.  Most of the other apps  are becoming useless and/or unsupported because of Microsoft.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

I just got my Nokia 8 on 1/8/2018 and sadly, LTE is not "available". I'm currently working with AT&T Customer Service/Tech Support to see if they can "enable" my IMEI/device on their network. Apparently, they do not recognize the IMEI (brand="Unknown" and thus is classifying the Nokia 8 as "Non-LTE" device). Keeping my fingers crossed.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

Did they get this fixed?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

When I switched to a different AT&T SIM, I can get LTE connection for a very short period of time (couple of min) before it's disabled after AT&T network tries to read my IMEI #.

I can only get H+ data connection now and I've even tried switching to a new SIM without success.

My theory is that AT&T needs to add Nokia 8 device as "LTE enabled" in their back-end systems in order to maintain LTE data connection.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

Me too but maybe because it is going to be a competitor fr apple. Nokia has an established phone technology until it used a microsoft platform

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

89.4K Messages

4 y ago

ATT uses bands 2,4,5,12/17/14/29 and 30.  17 is a primary band 

The Nokia 8 https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_8-8522.php has some LTE bands, not all.  It wasn’t made for the USA, so getting no more than HSPA+ is not a surprise to me. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

@lizdance40 Thanks for pointing out that AT&T's primary band is 17 which is not available on the Nokia 8.

What feels "weird" though is the fact that I could get "LTE" connection briefly when I switched between different AT&T SIM cards.

And when I tried to register Nokia 8 IMEI with AT&T (both in person at the AT&T store as well as via Customer Service on the phone), they told me that their system did not know which device this is and thus was "flagged" as being not LTE enabled.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.4K Messages

4 y ago

@kncnsm wrote:

@lizdance40 Thanks for pointing out that AT&T's primary band is 17 which is not available on the Nokia 8.

What feels "weird" though is the fact that I could get "LTE" connection briefly when I switched between different AT&T SIM cards.

And when I tried to register Nokia 8 IMEI with AT&T (both in person at the AT&T store as well as via Customer Service on the phone), they told me that their system did not know which device this is and thus was "flagged" as being not LTE enabled.

go buy a cheap maven 3 and give ATT the imei of the device to assign to your sim card then swap the sim into the nokia 8 and you will get LTE.....  Or if you have a old att phone use that IMEI...  I do it all the time...  I did it with a nokia 8 and 6.... 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 Thanks! I'll give that a try for sure.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 y ago

I'm looking to upgrade my L950 to this device but not having service on the Nokia 8 worries me. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

3 y ago

Just wondering if you have any further experience with the Nokia 8 LTE? I have can get LTE by toggling from 3G to 4G, but as soon as I make a call or go out of range it bumps back down to 3G and won't acquire 4G again until I toggle data. Oddly, the phone switched back and forth fine when driving through California, but not in Oregon where I live. It acquires band 2 and 4 in both states.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 y ago

I've never had any luck with the 4g or Lte on this phone probably because of bands being different than what's needed. Sometimes 4g comes through, but not often. On 3g service is good and download/upload speeds are fast enough for me and I am a heavy data user. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

3 y ago

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I actually have had a bit more luck than
you. Yah, the HSPA+ data rates are fast enough. Unfortunately I have tasted
the LTE speeds and the phone is only incredibly fast and not insanely fast.
It's usually only a difference in a second or two when rendering lots of
pics on a page or something. I should just accept buying an international
phone and enjoy the device for what it is. The simple Android One OS is
really what sold me on it.
Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.