Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Troubleshoot your device issues
lcoop1947's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, May 2nd, 2018 7:54 PM

No cell service in rural area. Need to receive text messages by wi fi.

Can someone tell me in simple terms how to set my Lumia 640 or 950 to receive text messages through my wi fi connection when I'm outside cell service area?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

673 Messages

6 years ago

@lcoop1947  AT&T doesn't offer Support on those devices. However, you could use AT&T Messages

https://messages.att.net/

ACE - Sage

• 

117.9K Messages

6 years ago

That phone is not capable of Wifi talk and text.  You will have to find an alternate, like google voice or Facebook messenger. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Great!  Not what I wanted to hear.  With Google Voice, do people contacting you have to have it also, or can it receive texts from AT&T, Verizon, etc.?

Guru

• 

673 Messages

6 years ago

@lcoop1947 When the 640 and 950 came out AT&T only supported Wi-Fi calling with iPhone.

If you are asking about AT&T Messages, it will work with sending and receiving texts from any service. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

I'm still trying, but no luck.  Apparently, they've dumped windows phones, too.   If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open.  I do not want to buy a new phone.  I want to go back to using my Windows 8.1 Nokia Lumia 640 since the Microsoft Lumia 950 has been a slow piece of junk!  One more way Microsoft screwed their great windows phone idea.  Arrgh!

Guru

• 

673 Messages

6 years ago

@lcoop1947 I have Lumia 950 and Lumia 640. The 950 is far "faster" if that is how you want to put it than the 640. Better CPU, more RAM. The two aren't even close in performance actually. Unless you compare only having a single application open.

The My Messages thing I suggested has nothing to do with which phone you use and should do exactly what you are asking.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

My 950 has been total junk!  It turns itself off and goes to sleep and won't wake up when it still has plenty of battery charge.  I go to the grocery and can't even pull up my grocery list.  I've soft reset, hard reset, etc.  Nothing works!  That's the reason I'm looking at going back to the 640, which I loved, along with the 520.  I bought the 950 a year ago for the camera and FB messenger when FB stopped supporting 8.1.  However, I've found a version of that which works on the 640.  I'll settle for slower just to have dependability.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

6 years ago

@lcoop1947 Hey, whatever works for you. If you're happier with the 640, then go with it. I have an L640 running Windows 10 and it's a very nice device for 1GB. It's an impressive phone for what it cost.

There is a project developing rather fast of putting Full Windows 10 on Lumia 950 XL which I understand will move to the L950. I have two L950's, I want to save one... I might need a few devices that I don't worry about if they brick. If your 950 is junk and you're willing to let it go for Junk price, PM me.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

I’m going to keep it as an extra alarm clock & mini-computer for now. Thanks, though. Linda
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.