Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
IkSingh's profile

5 Messages

Friday, March 8th, 2024 7:17 PM

Need Help unlocking lumia 925

Hello,

I need help unlocking my Lumia 925 tied to ATT. I tried calling them, and submitting a unlock request, but I get denied or the bot hangs up on me. (Sorry for my rudeness), but can an actual human answer the request? I really want to switch to another carrier on this phone as its my only phone.

ACE - Guru

• 

1.2K Messages

3 months ago

That's a near 11 year old phone.

When was the last time you actually used it on AT&T?  It's possible that the IMEI has been purged from their system and can't get the unlock code.

What other carrier do you plan to switch to?

There are several things against that phone working on another carrier. First is VoLTE compatibility. Every carrier in the US is going strictly VoLTE now, and very few of the older early generation LTE phones will work with it.

Verizon will simply not activate a non-VoLTE phone.

T-Mobile is more BYOD friendly, but, again, must work with their VoLTE. Also, T-Mobile is using bands for its regular LTE data today that were not common 11 years ago.

And then there's the fact that your phone is a Windows 8.1 phone that no one supports anymore. 

But then, none of that matters if you can't get it unlocked.

5 Messages

3 months ago

I want to get it unlocked for experimental purposes, so I can update my phone to the latest version. I do not plan to use it with any other carrier. I might get tello if it supports non-volte

ACE - Guru

• 

1.2K Messages

3 months ago

@IkSingh 

I see. Well, Tello is an MVNO that uses T-Mobile's network, so they would be subjected to T-Mobile's service activation connection requirements.

While T-Mobile does still have a few 2G towers left for the old GSM connections, those are limited to maritime use near navigable waters, and only for old existing service. And, while they had planned to shut those down in a few months, they have recently decided to hold off on that - leave them running for a while longer.

That wouldn't help setting up new service though.

Do you need cell service to just play around with the phone, though? 

I still have a BlackBerry Z10 from 2013 running the BlackBerry 10 OS that has been off AT&T now since 2017. I can't get an unlock code for it either (AT&T has tried the couple of times I used the portal, but never got a code, so I gave up). But I can still use it over Wi-Fi and keep my home outlook email on it - waiting to see how long it'll be before Microsoft cuts off authentication access. Not for cellphone use (not VoLTE capable either). I use it like a small tablet when I turn it on a few times a month. Battery life is maybe 20 minutes if I'm actively browsing the web with it - shorter, like 5 minutes, if I start taking pictures.  But since I still hang out on the CrackBerry Forums, some people still try to use those old phones, so if I can help with something, I'll chime in.

I don't know how those Lumia's being tied to AT&T affected where the OS updates came from, but looking around, the last update AT&T sent to that phone was in January of 2014.

Does it need cell service to AT&T to get updates OTA?  Would just having Wi-Fi be enough? I don't know enough about those Windows Phone Lumias. On my Z10, we had ways to update without relying on the carrier. Most Android phones have ways to update the firmware outside of the carrier too, although branded AT&T phones make that very difficult, but not impossible.

Are you looking to try to update it to Windows 10? 

Not that I can help, just curious.

(edited)

ACE - Master

• 

10.9K Messages

3 months ago

In you first post, you say you want to unlock it to switch to another carrier because it’s your only phone, but in your second post, you say you don’t want to use it with another carrier.  You just want to “experiment” with it.  Which is it?  Not that it matters in any way because the reason people want to get a phone unlocked has nothing to do with whether an unlock is approved or not.

With a phone that old, and being 3G (or earlier), the unlocking portal isn’t going to work.  You can try calling them, but if you’re not an AT&T customer, you likely won’t get very far, and if you do get a human being, they will just tell you to use the unlocking portal.  Even if they wanted to, a rep might not be able to process an unlock for a phone that old.  You can try filing a FCC complaint, which gets sent to a higher management level of customer service that can do things that the normal CS don’t have the power to do.

5 Messages

3 months ago

how do i file fcc?

5 Messages

3 months ago

Also @joeldf, I just want the latest windows update, but I see that ATT does not have the update. I want the Lumia Denim update so that I could upgrade my phone to windows 10. If all else fails, I might get a global ROM and flash it to the Lumia. 

ACE - Master

• 

10.9K Messages

3 months ago

@IkSingh 

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Note, it’s not going to work if you don’t have US contact information.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

3 months ago

Just throwing in my two cents, I suspect what you want to do is the "r" word.  Which may or may not work on that phone because AT&T branded phones were pretty well locked down. That one's old enough so it still may be possible.

As far as using it for a cell phone, there's almost nowhere in the world that phone will work except maybe some places in South America.  If all you want to do is play around with custom software, you don't need to have the phone carrier unlocked to do that. Carrier unlocking the phone will make no difference whatsoever. The only thing carrier unlocking does is allowed a SIM card from a non-US service provider

Back to the issue of unlocking the phone from AT&T.  If you purchase the phone second hand AT&T may not be willing to help you.  They may also be unable to help you.  If they've purged information for that model from their database, they may not be able to get an unlock code from the manufacturer

5 Messages

3 months ago

@formerlyknownas Att stopped updating the Lumia 925 while other carriers did, so that's why I want it sim unlocked. About the origins, I think I got it from Microsoft.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

3 months ago

Again we are dancing around what you really want to do which is update the software. It doesn't have to be carrier unlocked for you to update software by a means that we cannot discuss on this forum.  

Unlocking the phone from AT&T is not going to have any effect on existing software already on the device. All it does is let it work with a different (compatible) service provider.

AT&T does not have capability or permission to unlock the boot, which I believe is what you're asking for. That's not going to happen, and that has absolutely nothing to do with requesting AT&T to carrier unlock the phone

The only reason to ask AT&T to carrier unlock it which is to be able to use it as a phone in some of the few places in the world that will still accept it (South America)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.