Troubleshoot your device issues
A

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, June 2nd, 2021 2:52 AM

My phone has 4G but at&t claims it is only a 3G phone

Hi i received a txt that my Oneplus 7t phone will no longer work after February 2022, but it is on the "list of phones that will still work on your network". And I had and still can use 4G LTE on the 7t phone. I bought the phone back around November and never had a problem with it, until I had broke the screen and replaced it. While I was fixing the screen on my OnePlus 7t, I had put my SIM card back in my old phone so I could still be in contact with people. And did it with no problem. When I put the same SIM card back into my 7t I got a txt from At&t saying my phone is no longer compatible with my SIM card, and that my OnePlus 7t phone was not a 4G phone. Can you help explain why my phone is not a 4G phone, and why it will be getting kicked off the network?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

what model number is the phone.  Att only supports 1 model Number of the 7T.  Check the list below.

https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Service-Capabilities-Unlocked-Devices-ATT-Network.pdf

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76.......Thank you so much for bringing that to my attention. That was not something I was familiar with, and also explained the reason why.... My phone is a model HD1907 and At&t only will allow the HD1905 model. That was very helpful

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 

My phone is the OnePlus 8 model # in2015.....I had the same problem when I pulled out my sim card from my phone and reinstalled it......I had to go to the AT&t store and as the employee was on the phone with customer service the representative stated that my IMEI shows up as 3G when in fact my phone is a 5G..... Any good explanations on that? I spent 5 hours in the store before they got my phone working again but the problem was only fixed because they used a soft code to keep my phone from getting suspended from use on their Network...... I firmly believe that AT&t does not have the proper range of IMEI numbers for OnePlus in their database..... It was a bit discerning seeing their list of phones that will transfer over still and mine being one of the model numbers for OnePlus on their list but my phone would not work until they used the soft code! I think AT&T owes an explanation on that because I find it quite odd that my phone is on their list of ones that will still work but they still suspended my use.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

@ATTHelp 

Any answers on the above comment?! ⬆️

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

ATT may not have the full IMEI range in the database that is on ONEPlus to provide to ATT not the other way around.  Att can only go by the info given to them from the OEM.

And the phone will never get 5G on ATT.  Actually I believe none on the list actually get 5G.

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Please HELP!  I am having a similar issue.  I purchased a new ATT sim card, came home and put it in my 6 mo old 4G phone and had service.  So I signed up for a year in advance.  So now I am pre-paid.  When I chose the plan, and the sim/account activated, it cut off my service.  My boyfriend who lives here has a post-paid ATT account and has great service here.  I have spent 3 weeks on the phone, hour after hour wasted trying to get customer support to submit an Urgent ticket to Advanced Technical Support.  Some say they have submitted a ticket, then the next one will say there are no tickets on your account.  I can drive to the freeway and get service but only at 3G.  They are ending 3G in my area soon.  I am so upset!  Every hour I spend trying to get help is an hour costing me money as I am self-employed and have no paid time off.  I keep calling customer Retention for ATT but they do not have any email addresses for me to write to nor any help for the unwanted stepchild known as a "Prepaid account".  This is ridiculous.  I have seen other comments online such as this.  I do not know where else to turn.  I am going to go to various sites online and plead for help.  If you can get me to advanced technical support that would save me allot of time.   If anyone can get me an email for Technical support, or for an upper management member who could pass my message on to TS I would be so grateful.

I went to the outages link that was posted, but it checks my address and reports no outages so it will not allow me to report any lack of service.  I tried to drive all the way to an ATT corp store, but they closed early so I went all that way for nothing.  After reading this, do I need to try again to get to a store and ask they enter a soft code...??

How do I get the only local tower to be added to my network for my phone, and the service corrected at ATT to 4G not 3G?  How do I get ATT to change the 2G/3G incorrect information they have in their system for my phone to 4G?

Anyone have any solutions?

ACE - Sage

• 

116K Messages

3 years ago

@teamsolu

Please do not repeatedly Post in multiple places. I have already answered your question on your other post. You'll notice that the two previous posters included the model and make of their phone to The Forum. You did not.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

I'm getting this problem also.  I just got a BLU V50 phone.  It says 4G LTE right on the phone.  When I try making a phone call, it says the call is not allowed from that phone.  When I called AT&T, they said the phone is a 3G phone, and 3G isn't supported anymore.  But it's a 4G phone!

• 

50 Messages

3 years ago

AT&T only wants you to buy phones directly from them, and will only support devices they sell directly from now on. It doesn't matter if your phone is actually fully 4g capable. If it's not on their list, they lie and tell you it's 3g.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

@Charles007 

They need to say it wont work with VoLTE is what they need to say.

But then again some of the Chinese IMEI numbers do track back to 3G only devices. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.