Troubleshoot your device issues
JeffreyWdddd's profile

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, December 1st, 2022 7:47 AM

My account was used to order 2 iPads from out of State

My wife received a phonecall at 5pm Wednesday from ATT that a suspicious order of 2 iPads was made, but she confirmed her identity and said we did not order them, and ATT said they cancelled the order.  ATT said the order was made out of state, for the 2 iPads to be delivered to a residence (not ours) via Fedex on Thursday.  

We also saw an email from ATT at around 6pm that the order was cancelled.  And on my online account, it said the 2 iPads were cancelled because of suspicious information.

BUT - at 9pm I got a cheerful email from ATT that the 2 iPads were "on their way" via FEDEX arriving Thursday by 430om.

OMG.  what is going on?!

So the ATT order # on the cancellation in my ATT accoubt is a different ATT order # in this "on their way" email.

There's a FEDEX tracking #, going to some residence in my state (like 30 miles away).

My options?

1. Call ATT at 8am Thursday and ask them (Edited per community guidelines) is going on.

2. Call FEDEX at 8am and cancel the delivery (but can I even DO that as I'm not the sender, ATT is)

3. Take a vacation day off fron work, camp out for the FEDEX truck at the sketchy address to stop the delivery, and perhaps confront some criminals who may have a gun?

THANKS, just what I needed.... Paying my ATT bills for years, and now this (Edited per community guidelines).

And what's stopping other scammers from ordering 50 iPads a week on my account.  What is going on at ATT?!

ACE - Sage

• 

104K Messages

2 months ago

My wife received a phonecall at 5pm Wednesday from ATT that a suspicious order of 2 iPads was made, but she confirmed her identity and said we did not order them

Wait what? 😲

AT&T, make that any service provider, does not call the customer to verify an order. 

Exactly what information did your wife provide to prove her identity? When someone calls you they already know who you are. When you call them that's the only time you need to prove your identity

I believe your wife was phished over the phone and whatever identity info she provided was then used to complete the 2nd order.  The first time the scammer ordered they couldn't prove their identity so the order got canceled. 🤦🏼‍♀️

So yes, call AT&T and tell them that it was not you who ordered, and to have FedEx not deliver the order, return to AT&T. 

And in the future when someone calls you do not give out any identifying information. 

You need to secure your AT&T account by changing password in PIN code. And you should also to factor authenticate your email and perhaps use a different email than you when you are using now for your AT&T account. Whoever has gotten into your information knows at least that much.   

ACE - Expert

• 

24.1K Messages

2 months ago

Second post on the same issue.

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

Excellent advice - I'm not sure what occurred exactly on my wife's exchange with the "ATT person" - but I suspected some kind of phishing.  I called ATT this morning and was routed directly to Adam in the Fraud Department.   Super nice guy.  The 2 iPad order was still on its way via FEDEX and he was working on getting that stopped and returned back to ATT, but he reassured me that no costs would apply to my account.  I also asked him what I could do to protect ourselves more, and we changed my passcode to more than 4 digits!  I appreciate everyone in the Community here with their expert advice and wish you a happy (and scam-free) day!   Jeff.

ACE - Sage

• 

104K Messages

2 months ago

Glad to hear fraud was responsive. 

If you have any problems, holler back. You can file an FCC complaint and you can dispute charges on your bill to protect yourself from fraud charges

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.