Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Troubleshoot your device issues
W

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Dec 20, 2021 2:25 PM

Microsoft Lumia 950 Service Shut off

I have been receiving messages from ATT that the Lumia 950 would be shut off with the 3G discontinuance. I called Technical Support and stopped in local store(s) and attempts were made to prevent the suspension of service. Noone seemed to understand and or be able to help. The Lumia 950 is a 4G LTE phone and on the list of phones that should work, per ATT.  I did not purchase the phone from ATT. The phone was purchased direct from Microsoft and the unlocked phone was brought to ATT for service, service that was running great for the past 5+ years. 

Can anyone make any recommendation on how I can have service restored to this phone ?

ACE - Sage

• 

100.1K Messages

9 m مضت

Sorry but if you ignore the warnings that's on you. That phone is not capable of voice over LTE, which means when 3-g shuts off it will have no voice service. You had plenty of time to shop for a phone, hopefully you have one in mind so that you can go and purchase it now.

Unlocked phones that will work on AT&T now that 3-g is going away

AT&T phones that will work was 3-g shuts off.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj8ifCnvt7yAhVNU98KHYDLCWsQFnoECAwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3j95qhrrof94IKpnuRg_4d

• 

2 Messages

9 m مضت

Thank You for your note and I am not sure what list of working phones you were looking at but the one I see on ATT shows the Lumia 950 as a supported phone going forward. 

These phones will still work on our network after we phase out 3G in February 2022 (att.com)

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

59.7K Messages

9 m مضت

As noted above, there are two lists. The phone on the list you apparently saw is the ATT branded version. Since you got the unlocked version directly from Microsoft, it does not have the ATT software needed for VoLTE. Technical support should have known that.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

9 m مضت

Phone's exact model must be on AT&T's approved whitelist. If the model number is different at all, then it gets shutdown regardless. Agents have no option to prevent suspension as this is automatic.

It must be 4G LTE for voice calls, so Voice over LTE (VoLTE or HD Calling), specifically vetted for AT&T's approval.

These phones will still work on our network after we phase out 3G in February 2022 (att.com)

Lumina 950 is listed as supported, without mentioning specific model numbers. So either a single model or all are supposed to be supported. That or as mentioned the different lists are causing the confusion.

Contact AT&T and verify that the IMEI on your account is correct. There is also the chance that even if the phone is supported, you might need to get a new SIM card that is provisioned for their 4G LTE.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

100.1K Messages

9 m مضت

The list of unlocked phones was the first link I posted.  The only unlocked from Ms are the Duo

Really old phones that weren't big sellers are not going to make the list.  Neither At&t or the manufacturer is going to put forth the time or effort. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

9 m مضت

@windpa 

Ok so two lists, one for AT&T branded phones and others for unlocked. Sorry, I was in the mindset both on one list in separate sections.

Unfortunately yours did not meet the cut for the unlocked list so must be replaced.

• 

7 Messages

9 m مضت

I also have an unlocked Lumia 950 that will stop working. How can we get the VoLTE software update from AT&T so the unlocked phone will continue to work? Or how can I get another Lumia 950 directly from AT&T? I really don't want Android or iOS. My phone is like brand new still!

Constructive

Employee

• 

29.3K Messages

9 m مضت

There is no software update to avoid it from not working. 

ACE - Sage

• 

100.1K Messages

9 m مضت

@mikeywindows

Not an option.  The phones are checked by imei.

The phone accepted are either At&t branded:

.AT&T phones that will still work after 3g shut down

Or unlocked phones:

Unlocked phones that will work on AT&T now that 3-g is going away

This is an old phone.  I doubt you'll find one in good shape anywhere.

(edited)

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

9 m مضت

Windows mobile is is dead ... So pick either iOS or. Android.

• 

7 Messages

9 m مضت

I held out as long as I could. :( I'll try Android.

• 

3 Messages

6 m مضت

Funny how I have an AT&T branded Windows Lumia 950 and one that isn't, and they both work just fine.

• 

7 Messages

6 m مضت

ahhittlejr- did you get texts on your non-ATT branded Windows phone in January that it would stop working in February 2022? I would get many texts and also calls would be re-routed to customer support before I could make a call. Have Android now and missing Windows Phone.

ACE - Sage

• 

100.1K Messages

6 m مضت

@ahhittlejr

All that means is 3g isn't off in your area yet.   Notices are going out with April dates.   

• 

3 Messages

6 m مضت

@mikeywindows I never got any such notifications whatsoever. No calls, no text messages. Of course, my non AT&T branded Lumia 950 is never used. But since I know someone has recently experienced an inability to make voice calls on her Lumia 950 (don't know if it's branded or not), I took my SIM card from my branded phone and inserted into my unbranded phone and my unbranded phone worked perfectly. Voice calls and all.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.