Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Troubleshoot your device issues
chikago's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, March 5th, 2015 4:13 PM

Mailed multiple defective devices - AT&T wants me to pay it off in order to get a change?

Hello:

I've purchased a Nokia Lumia 1520 less than a year ago under the AT&T Next program. I'm on my third device that has had the same issues/problems as the previous two. The problems are not unique to my situation and are well known to a large group of users of the same device. Yes, there's a short period after the purchase with a satisfaction guarantee and the problems I'm experiencing now were the same as when I first got the device but was told that it's a software issue and that I should wait it out as an update is coming soon. It turns out that it wasn't software and it's hardware. 

It's becoming extremely inconvenient to have to constantly drive to the device help center as well as turning on the phone just to see that the same problems are apparent. I've made 10 out of the 26 payments and was told that my only two options are:

1. Keep receiving AT&T Certified like-new devices (90 day warranty vs 1 year manufacture warranty) 

2. Pay $180 on top of the $225 i've already paid, give AT&T my current device, and get a new one that includes starting my payments over. (Effectively paying $405 + the new device cost to get out of a defective device that is beyond my control) 

Why does AT&T insist on constantly sending me defective devices? I've been extremely patient without getting short with phone or in-person customer service. I'm not angry, only quite inconvenienced. 

I was told by device support that customer service has, under certain circumstances, allowed the customer to adopt an alternative make/model with comparable or less specs and continue the same payment plan without having to renew.  This option has not been made available to me. I feel bait and switched with little no faith in devices sold by AT&T. I've been a customer for over six years running and this is the first time I feel let down. 

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi there @chikago

I’d be happy to help with your replacement concerns! When we complete a warranty replacement, we do so on behalf of the device manufacturer. It is due to an agreement between AT&T and the manufacturer that we are able to process the warranty exchange for you, as opposed to going directly through the manufacturer. This benefits the customer as there is often less turnaround time in our exchange process and we offer a larger number of device support centers across the country.

Due to honoring the manufacturer’s warranty policy, we are unable to substitute a device for another model. All warranty exchanges will be a like-for-like exchange. In the case that we no longer have stock of a particular device, another similar model may be offered.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. I hope that the most recent replacement has resolved any issues which were being experienced on prior handsets.

Thanks,

Charise

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

@ATTMobilityCare 

Unfortunately, the device I received is also defective. I will likely have to get a replacement for the device every two weeks here on out. 

"When we complete a warranty replacement, we do so on behalf of the device manufacturer. It is due to an agreement between AT&T and the manufacturer that we are able to process the warranty exchange for you, as opposed to going directly through the manufacture."

This may be a problem. If the manufacture has provided AT&T with replacement devices, they may be part of a larger lot. If my device is constantly exchanged with another device from the same lot, the likelihood that there will be the same defects increases as the lot has made it past quality control at the time of manufacturing.

I would be more satisfied if I were to get a new device, even it if it was the same make/model if I knew it were coming straight from the manufacturer regardless of the turnaround time. It has a higher likelihood of not having defects and I have a backup device that I can use in the meantime.I don't know how I'll feel if I have to constantly exchange a defective device for the life of the plan. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Chikago,
I am having the same problem!!! I am sorry to say that this AT&T next program is the worst thing that AT&T had acquired and I have lost faith in them. They are now more worried about us fulfilling a phone fee/payment then they actually ensuring that we are satisfied. Although they are not the manufacturer, they are our provider and need to take responsibility for what products they offer us. Needless to say I have learned my lesson and am looking forward to finding a new company.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I'm sad to say that my most current replacement is also defective. It has less defects than the last device, but it is still defective. 

1) Touchscreen mistakes swiping for tapping and will open applications that weren't meant to be opened.

Solution provided to users: Change the screen sensitivity from High to Low. Does that work? No. 

This also makes texting/e-mailling a pain since using the swipe function believes you are tapping a letter instead of swiping a word. 

2) Overheating when the phone is performing simple tasks. My second and third replacement didn't have this problem. But, I'm back to square one with my latest device. 

3) Slow battery charge and quick to drain. Once again, second and third device did not have this problem. Background applications have been cleared. 

I guess I'll have to get a 5th device. I wish AT&T would enforce a no lemon policy as competitors do because clearly, this device is a lemon. It appears that no matter what, the touchscreen is defective and according to many forums on the web, this is a known issue and has been ignored or passed on as a software issue. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

9 years ago

Have your tried going straight to the manufacturer?
Other owners of Nokia phones have gone round and round with AT&T, but finally got a working phone from Nokia.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

@lizdance40  That was actually my next move. I'll keep this post updated with the results. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

9 years ago

Good.
Funny, I can tell by a post if someone has their wits about them, or is just letting circumstances kick them around. You fell into the former category. 👌 (thank goodness. I'm sick of banging my head against the wall)
😊
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.