Troubleshoot your device issues
gordonf's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, August 15th, 2018 2:55 PM

Lumia 830 VoLTE works after using LG K20 first?

This month I had a lovely adventure with a Lumia 950 XL that almost melted due to overheating. That's my problem, and the 950 XL is being replaced.

Along the way I somehow lost call forwarding and voice over LTE registration on my original Lumia 830; one I bought from an AT&T corporate store (not an 'authorized retailer') back in 2015. Probably happened when I tried using the 830's SIM in the 950 XL. I've struggled with AT&T support in voice and in chat for the past four days since; no one seems to make it work. Even had the corporate store replace the SIM for me, which made no difference.

Then the 950 XL nearly melted, and I went back to my 830. No call forwarding, no VoLTE. "We can't save your call forwarding info right now, please try again later." Trying again with **21* on the keypad also didn't work.

Enter the K20. When another person on my account broke their LG K20's screen months ago, I bought them a replacement K20 from the corporate store and had LG replace the screen on the first one. So I had this spare K20 here. I tried my 830's SIM (the new one) in the K20, and I got the same problem with call forwarding. But then I was playing with the K20's WiFi Calling. I turn that on, a moment later it starts working, and oddly, call forwarding is also now working!

Fascinating. Then I put this same SIM back into my 830. Not only is call forwarding working correctly, but I now have VoLTE and IMS is registered with some one.att.net information. I can tell that VoLTE is working because the signal strength indicator still says "AT&T LTE" and not "AT&T 4G" when I call my voicemail number.

What just happened? Why would putting a SIM in an LG K20 running Android somehow fix that SIM for call forwarding and voice over LTE on a Microsoft Lumia 830? And can I repeat that trick when my replacement 950 XL arrives?

(NOTE: About the 950 XL: AT&T never sold this phone directly; Microsoft sold it with AT&T service, but it has (or had) AT&T branding on it. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

Because the K2 is Volte compliant. It’s registering a valid ATT imei  .   It probably will not last.  Aside from iPhone and a couple other android phones , no non ATT phones can maintain advanced calling features 

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Because the K2 is Volte compliant. It’s registering a valid ATT imei.  […] no non ATT phones can maintain advanced calling features 

Then it's good that the 830 is an AT&T branded phone. It should last until I get my replacement 950 XL.

The 950 XL is an odd case; AT&T used to sell the 950 (not XL) directly, but the AT&T-supported 950 XL was only available from Microsoft US online.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@gordonf

The 950 XL worked on ATT, but ‘supported’ is a stretch.  

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

So the question remains: What happened? And can I repeat it when I get my replacement 950 XL?

I've read on other forums that 950 XL users need to ask AT&T to 'whitelist' their phones for VoLTE. Can I do that?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@gordonf wrote:

So the question remains: What happened? And can I repeat it when I get my replacement 950 XL?

I've read on other forums that 950 XL users need to ask AT&T to 'whitelist' their phones for VoLTE. Can I do that?

It was a ATT branded 830 so it could get Volte..  That 950xl wont get Volte period.  As ATT did not sell the phone as att branded.  Now that windows phone is almost dead its not like support from the carriers is going to keep going.  There is no whitelist for VoLTE either..  Its all software programing on the devices on android so I am assuming the same goes for the windows devices.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

As ATT did not sell the phone as att branded

What is this part number then?

059X7S5 RM-1085 VAR US ATT NONSTOCK SL BLACK

Besides, that still doesn't explain why I had to use this trick to make VoLTE work on the AT&T-branded 830.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@gordonf wrote:

As ATT did not sell the phone as att branded

What is this part number then?

059X7S5 RM-1085 VAR US ATT NONSTOCK SL BLACK

Besides, that still doesn't explain why I had to use this trick to make VoLTE work on the AT&T-branded 830.

I dont care what microsoft calls the part number for the 950xl...  ATT only sold the 950 and then sold it for only a short time.  

I would say your account had a hiccup the k20 flushed out with Volte....  I can say without a doubt your not getting Volte aka hdvoice on the 950XL.  This is old but then again the phone is old.  https://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950-xl/396888-hd-voice-t.html

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

I would say your account had a hiccup the k20 flushed out with Volte....  I can say without a doubt your not getting Volte aka hdvoice on the 950XL.  This is old but then again the phone is old.

That's good info at least.

It wasn't so much the lack of VoLTE that bothered me, but that call forwarding wouldn't work until this hiccup got flushed. VoLTE working on the 830 after doing this was just a bonus, and rather fascinating. That was what prompted this whole question.

Considering the age of both phones, that workaround will do until JAN 2020 when I get a different phone. I just have to hang in there with WP10 until some apps get redone for iOS or something.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@gordonf wrote:

I would say your account had a hiccup the k20 flushed out with Volte....  I can say without a doubt your not getting Volte aka hdvoice on the 950XL.  This is old but then again the phone is old.

That's good info at least.

It wasn't so much the lack of VoLTE that bothered me, but that call forwarding wouldn't work until this hiccup got flushed. VoLTE working on the 830 after doing this was just a bonus, and rather fascinating. That was what prompted this whole question.

Considering the age of both phones, that workaround will do until JAN 2020 when I get a different phone. I just have to hang in there with WP10 until some apps get redone for iOS or something.

If that phone makes it to 2020 I will be surprised and more and more folks drop support for it

Guru

• 

673 Messages

6 years ago

@gordonf a glitch, the AT&T 830 is supposed to support VOLTE. So I don't think this was a trick, thus I don't expect it'll work for you on the Lumia 950 XL. I damaged my Lumia 950 XL, have to get another one. But I swapped SIM cards from Samsung S7 Edge and Lumia 950 XL and never had VOLTE enabled on my Lumia 950 XL. You'll have better luck kicking a 70-Yard field goal for the Carolina Panthers this year than getting VOLTE to work on a 950 XL... that's my belief at least.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.