For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
AladdnSane's profile

Tutor

• 

37 Messages

Friday, May 14th, 2021 6:29 PM

KYOCERA DURA XE (E4710) PHONE! ....IS IT A 4G PHONE?

I got a email from AT&T yesterday 05-13-21 saying there shutting down the 3G network in February 2022 and my phone will have to be replaced and will no longer work!

I got my phone from AT&T and it is a Kyocera Dura XE (E4710) and from what I have researched it says its has 4G LTE network technology!

So if its a 4G phone why wont it work anymore after they shut down the 3G network?

And am I correct on it being a 4G phone?

Any help appreciated!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

That phone is on the list.  Call them and make sure your IMEI number is right in the system..

https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf

Tutor

• 

37 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you for your fast reply!

Yes I also seen my phone on that list also that it will still work after the 3G shutdown.

But am I correct that the phone I have is a 4G phone?

Thanx again for your help!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

3 years ago

Sweetie, read the list and get the inference. 

Tutor

• 

37 Messages

3 years ago

Well I called AT&T about my issue and they said my phone will still work after the 3G shutdown in February 2022!

However they said because of the plan I am on (which is a plan with no data as I only talk and receive calls on my phone! ...No Texting and No internet use!) said it will quit working and I will have to upgrade (more money!) my plan to a data plan?

Now what the heck does a plan have to do with the 3G and 4G thing of making and receiving phone calls? ....Sounds like a way just to squeeze more money out of me!

Any comments from anyone on this?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

3 years ago

@AladdnSane

They are wrong.  You do not have to change your plan. However you may need a new SIM card or update your imei. (did you do that since your last post?)

If you've been moving your sim card from old phone to new phone, it's possible your sim card is not provisioned properly for voice over LTE service. If you are constantly getting messages that your phone needs to be updated or replaced, it's might the SIM card that's causing the problem.   

Take your phone to a corporate store and ask him if you need an updated SIM card.

Tutor

• 

37 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you for your reply.

I have never had a issue with the phone receiving or making calls.

....I got the phone from AT&T about 4-years ago with a new SIM card when they shut down the 2G network (as I only had a 2G phone then) so I went ahead and got a 4G phone instead of a 3G just for the reason to be able to use longer as I knew eventually they would shut down the 3G network which is now going to happen next year. 

They said the EMEI was all ok and everything looked good with the phone but stated that I have to have data so they can update my phone when needed? ....Its never been updated since I owned it so why now!

First 2 CS reps I spoke to at AT&T said my phone will not work but I didn't buy that answer when I seen it on the list of phones that still will work that AT&T provided so I called back and the 3rd rep told me it was a plan thing!

I don't think no one at AT&T has a clue what's going on IMHO!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

Well @lizdance40 maybe ATT is not going to allow phones with no data plans on the network anymore I see this coming on all carriers.

(edited)

Tutor

• 

37 Messages

3 years ago

I wouldn't doubt that at all!

AT&T is getting as bad as Comcast/Xfinity bleeding people out of all they can!

And I knew the stimulus checks would come at a price from the very beginning! ...And that price is everything is costing more now and every company is after that money!

I am still not going to give up on this issue with AT&T and will argue with them until the end, And if I can I will even contact the CEO of the company to find out the real answers as stated before....There CS sure don't know what there talking about!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

3 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 

I know Verizon has gone that route already.  I don’t approve of prepaid eliminating a no data option.  

Teacher

• 

76 Messages

3 years ago

On May 26th I received the same email from AT&T saying that our DuraXE cell phones (we have two) are going to be replaced because they were discontinuing their 3G service. The email went on to say that I had to activate the new phones when they arrive and if I didn't then AT&T would automatically activate them;  they said our current DuraXEs would be deactivated.

I made several calls to AT&T support and have had multiple chat sessions too explain to them that the DuraXE does operate on 4G networks, that it is listed on their compatible phone list, and that they still sell the DuraXE.   I told them I did not want new phones - do not send them;  do not shut down/deactivate our DuraXEs.

I have a case ID for the chat sessions and in each contact the support rep would say that their email was sent by mistake and I could disregard it - but then, I would get another email reminding me that 3G was going to be discontinued and that I needed to activate the new phones they were going to send. 

It was obvious that the contacts with AT&T support were not having any effect - that they were not getting my information to the department that was sending out replacement phones.   So, I went to a local AT&T store and explained the whole mess.

The store associate checked my phone and found that the IMEI number in their system did not match the actual number of my phone.  He updated the IMEI number and said that should fix the problem.   Well, a week later I received a delivery of two Flip IV phones and instructions to activate these phones!   ( Incidentally, the DuraXEs cost about $250 each - these cheap Flip IVs sell for $60 each and to not have the USB data tethering capability of the DuraXEs).

What is going on with AT&T?!  It's like talking to a black hole with them - what ever conversations and explanations are given them don't ever get acted on and they seem set to do whatever they want to do, despite the customer request and their own information.

Yesterday, I received a text message from AT&T saying that I should have already received the replacement phones that they sent and I needed to activate them.   This message had a phone number to call if I needed help in activating the phones :  800-880-8581

I called and explained the whole thing all over again - the rep sounded like she was in an office on this side of the Pacific and seemed to know about this type of problem saying that some of the "code numbers" for the phones that will still work on their new system (i.e., 4G/LTE phones) didn't get registered with the department  and people who are running the replacement phone operation.   She looked up my account and phone information and took a couple of minutes to do something about getting our phones on the "do not deactivate" list or database.   After this she said our phones would not be disabled.   

We'll see ...  so far, not one thing that anybody at AT&T has said or done has had any effect - they're still plowing along like they're going to force us to switch to the cheap Flip IV phones.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.