Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Troubleshoot your device issues
yjoshd's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, June 8th, 2019 9:12 PM

Is anyone else getting cheated with Car Connection 2.0?

I'm incredibly frustrated....  I've been a loyal AT&T customer since 2003 and can't believe what is happening

In 2015, I was sold a device by my local AT&T store that allows vehicle tracking.  Its called Car Connect 2.0.  I've used the product happily since and paid my monthly data charge to have this device active.  Fast forward to this Spring, and the device has stopped working.  I finally had an opportunity to call today to find out why.  Here's the brief version:

My first call lasted over 30 frustrating minutes.  I was transferred 3 times, each time being told i had "the wrong department" and having to answer the same account verification questions, only to eventually be told after 3 transfers that I need to call another number.  30 minutes wasted.

When I then called the "correct department," I spent 70 minutes on the phone and learned:

a)  AT&T stopped supporting this device in March (I received no advance notification, no warning, no offer for a replacement service, nothing).

b)  AT&T feels terrible that the device they sold me is now an overpriced paperweight.

c)  AT&T will do NOTHING for me, except refund me the 3 months of services they just charged me for for a SERVICE THAT THEY NO LONGER EVEN OFFER !!!  (how generous of you to offer to refund me for a service you charged me for but didn't provide....Wow!  In some circles, that would be called theft.)

d)  AT&T will waive activation fees on the new replacement device.  (Because, yes, after this amazing experience, I'm in a real hurry to spend more money with AT&T, only to be left hoping and wondering if they will soon discontinue support of the replacement product)

This is ridiculous.  For a company like AT&T to put their name on a product, then a few short years later decide to stop supporting it and leave their customers holding the bag.... I can't believe it.

I've asked AT&T to either:

a)  Provide me with the new product they have chosen to replace car connection 2.0 with or

b)  Refund my purchase of the car connect product.

They've refused to do either.  Anyone else get caught up in this?  I've now wasted 2 hours of my life on this.

I'm now looking for a new provider.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

5 years ago

4 year old device?  https://about.att.com/newsroom/car_connection_att.html

Did it fail?  Because the only obsolete devices are 2g, which was shut off 2.5 years ago.  If it failed, it’s out of warranty by now, and yes, you would have to buy a new one.   It’s four years old, of course it would be discontinued, and replace with something else. 

If you cell phone dies, you replace it, and of course the carrier won’t have the same device.   They would have one that’s four years newer. 

So they refunded you for the period of time that the device actually didn’t work? And the problem is what?

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

5 years ago

There's no argument AT&T has failed here in a number of ways (no notification of an impending service demise and continuing to charge for it) but I don't see why they'd need to offer you an upgrade free of charge (perhaps a discount if you choose to renew the contract as they'd not want to lose a customer). When your old TV stopped working because all signals went from analog to digital did you get a free new TV? Did you expect one? Same here, the device which is likely way out of warranty stops working, you cancel the service or get a new device. AT&T has apologized and owned up to their mistakes, that's a reasonable response in my book.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@yjoshd wrote:

I'm incredibly frustrated....  I've been a loyal AT&T customer since 2003 and can't believe what is happening

You can't believe that they've stopped supporting an older deivce?

In 2015, I was sold a device by my local AT&T store that allows vehicle tracking.  Its called Car Connect 2.0.  I've used the product happily since and paid my monthly data charge to have this device active.  Fast forward to this Spring, and the device has stopped working.  I finally had an opportunity to call today to find out why.  

It took 3 months for you to call?

a)  AT&T stopped supporting this device in March (I received no advance notification, no warning, no offer for a replacement service, nothing).

This was poorly done.

b)  AT&T feels terrible that the device they sold me is now an overpriced paperweight.

It's technology and you bought it 4 years ago. I'm surprised they expressed any remorse at this.

c)  AT&T will do NOTHING for me, except refund me the 3 months of services they just charged me for for a SERVICE THAT THEY NO LONGER EVEN OFFER !!!  (how generous of you to offer to refund me for a service you charged me for but didn't provide....Wow!  In some circles, that would be called theft.)

They going to refund you the FULL AMOUNT of the three months of the service! That seems like EXACTLY what they should do.

You should attempt to press charges for this "theft". 

d)  AT&T will waive activation fees on the new replacement device.  (Because, yes, after this amazing experience, I'm in a real hurry to spend more money with AT&T, only to be left hoping and wondering if they will soon discontinue support of the replacement product)

You do not have to buy any service or activated it.

This is ridiculous.  For a company like AT&T to put their name on a product, then a few short years later decide to stop supporting it

It was four years ago.  That's like 20 years in technology years.

and leave their customers holding the bag.... I can't believe it.

No bag, you can cancel at either time.

I've asked AT&T to either:

a)  Provide me with the new product they have chosen to replace car connection 2.0 with or

b)  Refund my purchase of the car connect product.

a) I'm slightly surprised they didn't, just to get you to keep paying monthly rates. But if your attitude was the same as this post...

b) Never. It was 4 years old. 

I'm now looking for a new provider.

Please scour the forums of those providers forums, search for words like: theft, loyal, transferred, hours, discontinued, nothing, and I demand things for free...

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

5 years ago

The interesting thing is this 4 year old device was about the cost of a prepaid phone. $99

That’s $25 a year or just over $1 a month.   Good mileage.  

Any technology that lasts 4 years is an antique.  Can’t imagine why the OP didn’t just buy the replacement.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.