Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Jan 14, 2020 10:41 PM

International Sim (iPhone Unlock Problem)

Hi,

I am having trouble getting my phone to work with an international sim card. Originally, two week ago I went to the AT&T store because when I put in the online request to have my phone unlocked it said that the IMEI was not registered to AT&T. This was clearly wrong as I was on AT&T network and have been for the past 5 years. Turns out the problem with the IMEI was due to the phone being a replacement phone from Assurion b/c my previous phone had been stolen about 3 months ago. The person at the store told me that the IMEI not being registered as an AT&T phone means it should be unlocked and good to go.

Flashforward to now, I have a VOXI simcard and the phone says that it is not supported. I was able to trackdown an AT&T international customer support person that helped me after I explained the situation. My phone is able to be unlocked and I received a subsidy device unlock request with this message:

"We have reviewed your request and confirmed that the device may be unlocked. Please follow the unlock instructions below to unlock your device. Please allow 24 hours upon receipt of this notification to complete the unlock process.

1) Using a Non-AT&T SIM Card: 1) Remove your SIM card and insert the new SIM card. 2) Complete the setup process.

2) Using an AT&T SIM Card 1) Back up your iPhone. 2) When you have a backup, erase your iPhone. 3) Restore your iPhone from the backup you just made.

Thank you for your business. For other questions about our AT&T wireless service or other Mobile devices, please visit att.com

Sincerely,

AT&T Customer Care Team"

I have just repeated Steps 1 above and everytime I do that it still says sim not supported. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this problem. Assurion sends me to AT&T and I assumed my problem would be fixed when AT&T sent me this email with the unlock code. All help would be great!

Responses

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

a month ago

Is your phone connected to WiFi when you do step 1? The phone must be able to contact Apple’s activation servers to complete the unlock, provided Apple has updated their activation servers to show your phone unlocked.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

Yes it is connected to WiFi when I try to set it up. How do I make sure that Apple has updated their activation servers to show my phone unlocked?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

Perhaps the phone has not yet been unlocked and your response from ATT only means it is now eligible to be unlocked and you need to submit another unlock request. There are various IMEI checker sites that can tell you if the phone is still locked or not.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

Hi,

I tried again today and its still saying that the iPhone is locked and sim can't be supported. I went to the AT&T site to request an unlock but the IMEI still says not registered with AT&T as it did the first time when I went into the store three weeks ago.

I am not sure what else to try. I've tried erasing the phone and then putting in the SIM and that still does not work.