For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Z

• 

3 Messages

Monday, October 19th, 2020 1:27 AM

Insurance Plan

On my last phone I purchased the insurance plan in case my phone broke as it cost $1100.  About 2 and a half to three years later it broke.  It was paid off by this time and had paid about $450 for the insurance plan.  I went to the AT&T store where I bought the plan from and they told me that it would be a $0 deductible to replace it since I hadn't had any claims for so long.  I've never had a claim in the 15 years that I've been with AT&T and this was the first time I had the insurance plan.  I filed a claim online and the replacement went really smoothly and got a new phone in less than 24 hours.  Pretty impressive!  

However a month later I received a bill for $149 additional to my normal bill for an insurance claim.  I called Customer Support to talk about it.  They said I needed to talk to the insurance department.  They transferred me and I got hung up on.  Not a big deal as it happens.  I called back and went through the same story again, transferred, I told them that I'd like to just get my old phone back as they wanted me to send in the new phone to start a claim process.  I said that would work.  The person on the phone said to hold.  I held.  Then was disconnected again.

I called back went through the same thing again.  The guy told me that I would have to contact Customer Service at AT&T to dispute this.  He transferred me again.  I was hung on yet again.

I called back a fifth time to Customer Support at AT&T and told them what happened.  The person on the line said that they should have called me back if I was disconnected.  After 20 minutes she said that she would remove the fees but needed to talk to someone else and placed me on hold.  45 minutes later from being on hold the call disconnected yet again.

It is my belief that whatever is going on at the company there isn't communication between the insurance company and AT&T.  It is also my feeling that neither company wants to take responsibility for this and they deflect the responsibility on each other leaving the customer in limbo.  

I was on the phone with them for 2 hours without a resolution.  I gave them several options that I was willing to do.  They said they would do one of them but never followed through.  This was a horrible experience and now I had to spend an additional 15 minutes typing this just in hopes that they will do the right thing.  

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

4 years ago

Once phone sent in for claim you never get it back. It is given up at that point.

Question is if the insurance was through the store itself, or they simply offered the option and it goes through a 3rd party. If the latter (as it usually is) then you go by the rules of the insurance plan. Filing a claim online does not take into account any "promises" some agent at an AT&T store told you.

So the store agent doesn't understand the plan, or just told you what you wanted to hear to move you along as they have nothing to do with filing the claim.

This was a horrible experience and now I had to spend an additional 15 minutes typing this just in hopes that they will do the right thing.  

Umm, this is a public forum of other customers. You want official response, then you call AT&T.

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Yes it was, still no response from them.  I posted this to as many places that I could find including the BBB and their ‘customer support’ email.  

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

4 years ago

I take it the email you mean is for the insurance company since AT&T doesn't have a customer support email.

If the details of the protection plan/insurance (listed on their website or paperwork) do not match your claim, then at this point a BBB complaint seems appropriate. But if it matches, but just not with what the store agent said when you got it, then you file a complaint with the store. Good luck.

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

AT&T called back and spoke with me about this matter.  The person that called was pleasant to speak with, was able to make a decision about this matter and waived the fee.  She was able to solve the issue within a few minutes.  Thank you!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.