bsn321's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, November 7th, 2008 5:30 PM

Closed

Installing an AT&T theme on Blackberry Pearl 8100

Hi folks -

relative newbie here.   My wife has AT&T wireless (phone) service.    We received a "second-hand" BB Pearl 8100.   The phone came directly from RIM, but was designed for T-mobile.  It was never locked for T-mobile, however.  In short, the phone works just fine with my wife's Cingular/AT&T SIM card.

Originally, I wasn't sure if the phone would work, or work properly, if it did not have an AT&T OS loaded, so I did download and load the AT&T OS for a BB Pearl 8100.

However - I have [at least!] 2 questions:

1)  I'm still getting a "T-mobile" boot screen.  I wonder if this is somehow burned into some type of ROM of the BB itself?  However - as I said, the phone is working so really this question is more of a curiosity at this point.  My REAL question is:

2)  I don't have the AT&T Theme loaded.   After loading the AT&T OS, the phone still has the T-mobile theme, plus the "Dimension" theme(s), and also the "Phantom" and "Sunday Funnies" themes (the latter 2 I think may have come along with the AT&T OS (?).

I would have thought the AT&T theme would be embedded into the AT&T OS load - but apparently not.

What am I missing?  How can I install the AT&T THEME on this Pearl???

Thanks so much!

bsn321

Accepted Solution

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

15 years ago

It doesn't matter what carrier you download the OS from, all carrier themes are included. Since you're phone was built for T-Mobile, it has a T-Mobile device ID. As far as I know, there is no way to change either the device ID or the boot screen, but you can get the AT&T theme loaded by making a minor edit to one file.

After installing the OS on your computer, which you've already done, go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8100-.... The name of the last folder will depend on the OS version installed. In that folder, find the file Blackberry.alx and open it with Notepad. Search within the file for AT&T. The first line found should be something like . Below that line you'll see . You can either delete _vendorID="102" or change it to _vendorID="102|100". Save the file, plug in your phone and you should be prompted to update it. If you're not prompted, you can use the application loader in Desktop Manager.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

That did the trick - AWESOME - thank you very much.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.