Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

• 

7 Messages

Wed, Feb 26, 2020 7:13 AM

IMEI number & device don't match

In response to my unlock request, I received the following email. IMEI is correct (I can send you screenshot) and phone was active on at&t postpaid for several months. This phone (that I am requesting to unlock) was a replacement sent by Motorola per warranty. IMEI of the broken phone (sent to Motorola) is also available upon request. "..." below are info available upon request.

Subj: Your IMEI number & device don't match

We can't complete your unlock request right now.

Device IMEI number: ...

Request number: ...

Hi ...

Make sure you have the correct IMEI:

Find an IMEI on Apple devices

• Go to your Device settings; select General, and then choose About to find your IMEI.

Find an IMEI on Android devices

• Go to the Settings app, and then select Status to find your IMEI.

Find an IMEI on a Pixel 4 or Pixel 4 XL

• Go to the Settings app, and then select About Phone to find your IMEI.

Or

Dial *#06# to find your IMEI

Any mobile phone

• Dial *#06# to make sure you have the right IMEI.

Note: IMEI provided is not an AT&T IMEI

Then, submit a new request when you're ready to try again.

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.1K Messages

a month ago

Wow, the information is provided in your post beautifully and the solution is that your device was replaced by Motorola under warranty. AT&T has the IMEI of your original Motorola on file, the new one is required to unlock the device.

Call AT&T and speak with tech support, explained that the phone on the line is a warranty replacement. They will need the IMEI from the new phone to replace the old one.
Once that is done you should be able to unlock the phone through the portal without a problem.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

7 Messages

This didn't help. I have chat transcript available upon request. At some point, the agent says "It is not a AT&T device and we cannot help you on unlocking the device." Here's my counter argument:

* Phone has been on at&t for several months

* Screenshot attached showing software variant as AT&T

* Phone doesn't work with SIM card from any other carrier I tried

• 

7 Messages

At some point during my chat the agent says "If a AT&T customer uses that device then it will be locked with the AT&T and to unlock the device the same AT&T customers need to contact us." My wife who used the device on AT&T requested an unlock too. Here's AT&T response to her dated Feb 15, 2020 ("..." below are info available upon request):

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your AT&T Mobile device:

CASE: ...

IMEI: ...

We cannot complete your request for one of the following reasons:

This device is no longer actively supported

There is no unlock code available for this device

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.1K Messages

based on the model, its not an at&t phone, and therefore NOT LOCKED to at&t.

Motorola Moto Z2 Force Edition XT1789 was sold by verizon and sprint, or unlocked.

Did you ever discuss it being a warranty replacement? no? That MUST be discussed with at&t and IMEI replaced.

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

7 Messages

@lizdance40 Please see the screenshot i attached, and my comments (experimenting with sim cards, ...)

• 

7 Messages

and under SKU says XT1789-04

• 

7 Messages

i think that's model# for the at&t version.

• 

7 Messages

@lizdance40 ty. I told about warranty replacement to tech support as you suggested. She asked for current (replacement) phone imei and that of the broken/original phone. She said I can't help since phone was used on a business number (though fully paid), and handed me over to business CS. I told the story once more to business CS, but she just wanted the current imei and made a case. I keep you posted what happens. I wish I could bill AT&T for wasting my time. If so, I could buy me an unlocked iphone 15 pro/max.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…