Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Dec 13, 2008 4:26 PM

IM on bb pearl???

Hello, I am not sure if I am doing this correctly but I need some help!  I have talked to several cust service  reps from att, as well as gone through several of the post in the forums and I am still not getting the same answer!!! I am ready to upgrade my phone. I am wanting the black berry pearl because it is know for being a good phone, I am kinda hard on them LOL anyways I do a lot of text and IM. I do not want the data pack. I have no need for email and internet at this time. I do have an unlimed text pack on my plan. I want to im using my text pack on the bb pearl. has anyone tried this? My brother is in iraq and this is how we stay connected. I dont want a big surprise on my bill. Someone please help!!! (I know this has been asked a million times, but still cant seem to get straight answer) Thanks in advance!!!

Responses

Accepted Solution

JerryNYC

Scholar

• 

107 Messages

12 years ago

AT&T has an "Instant Messaging" program they offer for free called Oz Instant Messaging for the BlackBerry.  That said, it is neither Instant, and not really free unless you have an unlimited texting plan.

Oz allows you to "Instant" Message to AIM, MSN, or Yahoo (only one at a time) using SMS Relay.  Each time you send or receive a message, it's counted as another text message.  Unless you have an unlimited texting plan, this can get quite expensive at the standard $0.10 per message rate!

To get it, you go to the Media Net Home Page (http://home/), and click on the Mobile IM link.  This will download OZ Instant Messaging (currently version 4.1.3).

This does not require a BlackBerry Data Plan, however without a BlackBerry Data Plan, I'm not sure how you'd aquire the program!  However, if you have a Data Plan, unless you REALLY use SMS Texting a lot, you can get a $5 / 200 message plan and an unlimited BlackBerry Data Plan, and use a REAL IM Client.  RIM supplies, and AT&T finally allows IM clients for ALL IM Networks including AIM, MSN, Yahoo, GTalk, MySpace, FaceBook, and ICQ.  They also integrate with the BlackBerry's Address Book which is a nice touch, and can save chat histories (in .CSV format).

I don't know if you'd get the Media Net Browser on your BlackBerry without a BlackBerry Data Plan.  I also don't know if they'd let you get a plan and then drop it after a month.

takeshi

Professor

• 

1.6K Messages

12 years ago

@JerryNYC wrote:
I don't know if you'd get the Media Net Browser on your BlackBerry without a BlackBerry Data Plan.  I also don't know if they'd let you get a plan and then drop it after a month.

I doubt you can get just MediaNET.  However, unless a rebate stipulates that a plan must remain on the line then dropping it after a month shouldn't be a problem.
Zandora

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

12 years ago

@takeshi wrote:

@JerryNYC wrote:

I doubt you can get just MediaNET.  However, unless a rebate stipulates that a plan must remain on the line then dropping it after a month shouldn't be a problem.

Drop the plan after you receive the rebate card in hand.

If you drop it while the rebate is being processed, they will reject your rebate claim.

Better to wait until you get the rebate card in hand.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks everyone I was able to download oz
Max69

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

12 years ago

The only problem you might have is that even though OZ uses SMS to send messages, it still uses data to sign in and stay signed in. How much data it uses, I don't know.
Zandora

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

12 years ago

Max69 wrote:
The only problem you might have is that even though OZ uses SMS to send messages, it still uses data to sign in and stay signed in. How much data it uses, I don't know.

However, the data used to sign in and refresh buddy lists is NOT charged. This specific data usage is considered part of the messaging plan...at least for non-BB's. For BB's, I'm not sure.

However, if she was able to download the OZ package, I think that she has a data package...and if not, then it's gonna cost about $8 for the OZ PPU download...as that is how much I had to pay to download OZ onto my BJ as it wasn't preinstalled.

Message Edited by Zandora on 12-16-2008 09:22:18 PM
Zandora

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

12 years ago

little angel1 wrote:
Thanks everyone I was able to download oz

little angel1,

Are you IM'ing with your AIM screen name?

If yes, you can actually have done it without downloading OZ.

Sign into AIM on your computer and set it to "Forward to mobile" -- You'll need to provide your mobile #.

Then you simply login to AIM via text message (the instructions are on Forward to Mobile page)

You stay logged in until sometimes the system logs you out, but it sends you a message to remind you to log back in. Then you just login via text message again.