How to unlock your AT&T phone
Unlocking Your Device - Requests & Facts
Your device is designed to work on the AT&T network and may need to be unlocked if you are planning on using it with another carrier. The process is easy and we've placed the steps below. You'll also find information why your request may have been denied.
Something To Know: It can take up to 7 business days for your request to be processed.
How To Request A Device Unlock
- Go to our Device Unlock portal.
- Select Yes if you are an AT&T Customer, No if you are not an AT&T customer.
- Enter your telephone # if you are an AT&T Customer. Enter your IMEI if you are a non-AT&T Customer.
- Follow the prompts.
To check status of your request
- Go to our Status Portal.
- Enter your IMEI Number & Request Number.
- Follow the prompts.
Heads Up: AT&T cannot unlock devices from other wireless carriers. If you are a business customer, visit our AT&T Small Business Support Center.
Website Troubleshooting: If you have an issue with the site, delete cache, cookies, and restart your browser. In some instances you may need to use another browser.
General Requirements for All Unlock Requests
- The device must be designed for use on, and locked to, the AT&T wireless network. (For help see Device Unlock Support)
- It must not be reported lost or stolen.
- It’s not associated with fraudulent activity.
- All the device’s service commitments and installment plans are completed, and all early termination fees are paid in full.
- The device is not currently active on a different AT&T customer’s account.
- If you performed an early upgrade, you must wait the 14-day buyer’s remorse period before you can request to unlock your previous device.
eBay & Non-AT&T Purchases
If a phone is purchased from a non-AT&T authorized dealer or sites like eBay, AT&T may be unable to unlock the device. Before purchasing the device, make sure the seller performs the unlock request. In some instances, you will have to contact the seller to perform the request. If the device was purchased by another provider, they should have online resources to unlock the device.
- Your account must be active for at least 60 days, with no past due or unpaid balance.
Prepaid / GoPhone®
- The device must be active for at least six months of paid service.
Non-AT&T Mobility Customers
- You’ve never had an AT&T wireless account and you meet the General Requirements for unlock requests.
Deployed Military Personnel (Current AT&T Customers Only)
- Current AT&T customers who are active and deployed military personnel, and have provided deployment verification, need to meet all the General Requirements, except those related to the device's service commitments, installment plans and early termination fees.
- AT&T, at its sole discretion, may limit the number of devices military personnel can unlock.
AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice.
ChrisZ, AT&T Community Specialist
Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.