How to change a replacement AT&T SIM card
Get your Phone Working after Changing SIM Cards
Got a new phone? Want to switch between phones? No matter what the reason, changing out the SIM card and getting your phone working is very easy.
Need to get a new SIM Card?
You can visit a local AT&T store or chat with us to order one online. *Charges may apply.
Swap SIM card
To swap a SIM, sign in to your myAT&T account to complete the following steps. If you’re new to using myAT&T to manage your AT&T PREPAID (formerly GoPhone) account, the user name is your 10-digit wireless number, and the initial password is the last 4 digits of your wireless number.
- At the top of the page, select My Device.
- Select Update Device.
- Enter the IMEI, enter *#06# on your device to get your IMEI.
- Enter the SIM Card Number.
- Select Continue.
- Power off the device.
- Remove the old SIM card.
- Insert the new SIM card.
- Power on the device.
Data Service not Working after Swapping the SIM Card
If after swapping the SIM and confirming or adding a compatible data feature, you still can’t use data, you may need to program the correct APN and MMS data settings to use data services on the new device.
iPhone Doesn’t Display AT&T in the Status Bar
If AT&T doesn’t display in the status bar after inserting an AT&T SIM card:
- Connect your device to iTunes®.
- If your device still doesn’t work, learn how to activate the SIM card in your device.
- You may need to restore your iPhone or iPad to factory settings.
- Visit att.com/updatedevice. Sign in and update your account with your new SIM card and IMEI numbers.
David, AT&T Community Specialist
Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.