Military Appreciation: Exclusive savings for military, veterans, and their families!
Troubleshoot your device issues
J

• 

5 Messages

Sun, May 31, 2020 4:30 AM

Help with unlocking a device

Yes. I have gone through the device-unlock portal. I have called the support line and brought the device into a retail AT&T store.

My phone broke a while back, my friend gave me his old phone that he bought from AT&T. It was paid in full on a prepaid plan. After upgrading, he of course canceled the aforementioned plan. The device is locked by AT&T and I use a different carrier. My friend doesn't have the old sim card he used to use and his AT&T account was just his phone number (https://www.paygonline.com/ was the URL of the website he had to log in at). Because he canceled his plan, and therefore his phone number, his account doesn't exist anymore.

The device is not on any active AT&T account, but despite that when attempting to go through the Unlock Portal, it claims the device is active on an account. We called support, they told us to bring it into a physical location, I did that and they told me that they couldn't find the device on any account and it shouldn't be giving me problems so I should call support again.

My carrier has everything good to go with a working active sim card, the only thing holding me back is this.

Now I'm in a loop of "Use the online unlock portal" and then being redirected to different people telling me to ask the other person again.

How do I get this resolved?

Constructive

Employee

• 

27.4K Messages

2年前

did you request as a non customer?

• 

5 Messages

Yes. Besides, requesting as a customer wasn't possible for us as it requested an AT&T wireless security passcode, which was never used for his account. According to him the only information like that was either a password OR a pin to log in to the account, but not both.

Edit: Clarification

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

96.4K Messages

2年前

Canceling prepaid takes at least 60 days because of how the process occurs. Prepaid is canceled when you stop paying. However the account is not closed for another 60 days to give the prepaid user a chance to refill if they choose. The phone is still tied to that prepaid account - therefore the notice is correct.

Simple solution is for your friend to apply for the unlock as a customer, with his prepaid Plan information. Otherwise he has to contact AT&T and try to get them to remove the phone from his inactive, but not yet canceled, Prepaid Plan.

• 

5 Messages

I should have been more clear. This is a phone he stopped using over a year ago. Plan included. He just never got rid of the phone when he upgraded so he had it laying around.

When I said his account doesn't exist it's because he cannot log in to it any more and when he tried calling support about it they told him the account no longer exists. That's when they told us to go to a physical AT&T location.

Edit: The physical location just told us that they couldn't do much as they didn't have permission to look in to account info. The only thing they could do was to look to see if the device existed in their system and told us it did not.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

96.4K Messages

Odd. its still tied to original account or carrier. You cant resolve this. at&t wont deal with 2nd hand phone sales,.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

5 Messages

Well it doesn't have to be me, my friend has been trying with me to get it unlocked as it's a phone he fully owns and he meets all criteria for unlocking.

As far as either of us are concerned there has been no change of legal ownership and he himself has tried resolving this with AT&T but was given the responses I mentioned in my original post.

This wasn't a sale and my friend is fully cooperative with unlocking this device.

Edit: Also, when he WAS using this device and account, it was active for more than a year before he canceled his service.

(edited)

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.4K Messages

His best option to get the phone unlocked is to escalate to corporate by filing an FCC or BBB complaint.

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

5 Messages

We'll try that, thank you. Are the necessary documents to file just found on the FCCs website?

And in the mean time, as im sure this is a lengthy process, we're willing to try other solutions if anyone can think of them.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.