Troubleshoot your device issues
S

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Jan 26, 2021 4:11 PM

HELP: How to remove blacklist when ATT blacklisted my phone by *mistake*

1st phone was lost in a river.  Reported as permanently lost, got a replacement phone from insurance.  Later, a diver unexpectedly recovered the 1st phone which - shockingly - turned on.  Called ATT to tell them the river phone had been unexpectedly recovered, they said ok, arranged to have the lost river phone sent back and also blacklisted it.

HERE'S WHERE IT ALL WENT WRONG: the person on the phone accidentally blacklisted the NEW, replacement phone, instead of the one that had been lost in the river that was sent back.

It has been 3 WEEKS now that the phone doesn't work, countless hours of being sent back and forth between ATT and Assurion.  The phone will get turned on for a few hours and then its off again.

We are desperate and have no more options.  What do we do?  Even tried to buy a totally new phone from scratch to be done with it, but the phone number is blacklisted.

WHO DO WE CALL?? It is NOT att or assurion customer service, have been doing that non stop for 3 weeks.  Even went to a corporate store, no solutions.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

Il y a 1 a

No, your phone number is not blacklisted. The problem is the imei associated with your SIM card is the blacklisted phone. You need to call to get the imei associated with that SIM card updated to the new phone or get a new SIM card. The corporate store should have been able to take care of that. As for getting the replacement phone removed from the blacklist, you should escalate to corporate by filing an FCC or BBB complaint.

• 

2 Messages

Il y a 1 a

Thank you.  I will try to share that information at the store, and will look into the FCC.  There has been some conversation with customer service around what you are talking about with the imei, and everyone seems to understand, then the phone is off again within hours.

We found the form for requesting arbitration from ATT and was thinking about mailing that. 

The phone is needed urgently for logging into work with authenticator apps/texts/ etc. I'm behind at work this has been such a nightmare.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

Il y a 1 a

Arbitration is a months long process and intended for billing disputes. Your issue is not something arbitration would fit, I believe. File the FCC or BBB complaint.

• 

2 Messages

Il y a 2 m

I am having a similar problem. I bought an iPhone from an individual, cleared it with att and apple, had it connected on my son's line, then 2 months later the original owner reported it lost or stolen so att blacklisted my phone. How can a person not on my account report a phone that's been on my account 2 months as lost or stolen? The original owner will not respond to my attempts to contact h. Att has unlocked the phone twice but its not long before it's locked again. They say they can't clear the IMEI because they did not add it to blacklist, ít must've been another carrier or apple. Apple also says the phone is active with them and they did not blacklist it. Can another carrier blacklist my att phone or is it only att and apple? The phone is carrier locked to att. Who can unblacklist it and clear my IMEI if the carrier and apple sent blacklisting it? 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

Il y a 2 m

@loriellzey The insurance company can also blacklist a phone. Typically, that’s the scam, the seller reports it lost and gets a replacement from insurance and the insurance company is who blacklists it. Now how that particular phone was still under coverage two months after you bought it, I don’t know. If it was insurance, it means the seller never used a different phone on their line because insurance covers the phone being used on that line.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

Il y a 2 m

Since claims can be made up to 30 days after loss, and as long as the line doesn’t have another phone on it, and because blacklisting isn’t always as immediate as it should be, it’s entirely possible that this was a scam from the day you bought the phone. Unfortunately there’s absolutely nothing you can do. You got ripped off.

there is no protection for third-party purchases.   Which is very unfortunate because it’s a very common practice for people to sell used phones. If you purchase through a website like Swappa or eBay you can report the fraud to those websites. If you paid with PayPal, you have six months to dispute with PayPal.

• 

2 Messages

Il y a 2 m

It has been over 3 days since I had put the phone on my account. Is policy that they have 30 days to file a claim AND not have another phone on the account? 

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

Il y a 2 m

@loriellzey

If you're looking for some sort of loophole to help you, there isn't one. You got ripped off. 

You have no rights as a third-party purchaser.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.