For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
w760a's profile

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

Saturday, November 29th, 2008 6:27 PM

Closed

google maps- annoying permission message; does not us GPS receiver

I installed google maps 2.3.2 and it is a cool application, especially the blue dot for your approximate location.  There are 2 things I seem to be having trouble with and any advice would be great.

1.  there is a message that pops up every few seconds to get permission to access the internet.  I have checked all the setting and there seems to be nothing to allow one to turn off thie feature.  I have read that there is something called a signed application and there is an area of the phone for certificates but I really don't understand these things. 

2. the 760a phone has a GPS receiver and I would have thought that google maps would activate it and use it for better determining my location...I have read elsewhere it has such a feature but I cannot find a means to get it to work.

Again any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

The posted solution does not work on my phone. However, try following two links, must be accessed from mobile phone:

1) http://maps.google.com/m (go to More->Maps ...  I get a signed version EVERY time!!)

2) http://www.google.com/adgjm ("adgjmp" is just some junk entered by pressing "234567" on most phones, google will then redirect to a different page, goto Maps->Download Google Maps ...  I get a signed version only sometimes)

Scholar

• 

259 Messages

15 years ago

Very interesting post w760a. Very enlightening I should say.

@w760a wrote:

BrianZ-W760,

I am in a similar position as you.  While I do not care about the data charges because I have the medianet unlimited plan ($15/month) I do care that the map changes cannot keep up with you while you are driving.  Sure it can keep up is you are looking at a high level map but look at a detailed map while drigving at 65mph and google maps is not keeping up.  I definitely will not use he AT&T navigator function.  Therefore I think it would be best to have the maps loaded onto the phone.  Becasue of this desire as well as the mail client problems I have posted about elsewhere, I am still considering debranding.  If debranding will solve both problems to my satisfaction, I will debrand otherwise there are relativel simple work arounds that get you there most of the way. 

I was more concerned about voiding the warrantee before a recent experience with AT&T warrantee on another phone.   My son's phone, a Samsung he got in July, was turing off when he closed it.  I called AT&T, they sent me to a special phone number where I learned that as long as the moisture patch (under the battery cover) was white the phone was covered for a year...regardless of the insurance plan or not.  That this warrantee was from the manufacturer not AT&T.  I could either have them send me a phone replacement (remanufactured or new, their choice) or go to an AT&T warrantee center.  Note that  the warrantee service centers from AT&T are not colocated with their phone stores making me think that they are further disconnected from AT&T's phone service.  I went to the warrantee center and they told me the same thing as the people on the phone did...the manufacturer is providing the warrantee.  

It seems to me that based on the above, that debranding is just about loading software onto the phone which SE encourages you to do (they do so by having s/w on their website, talking about A/B gaming buttons when there is no native use of them, having a developers forum for software onthe A2 platform, etc.)  If this is so, they would have to have something specific in the warrantee to say that debranding or loading certain types of software voids the warrantee.  I find nothing in the material I got with the phone to say this.  Maybe someone else can find such a warning but I did not.  Based on this information and assessment, I am less concerned about voiding a warrantee, especially a threat/warning  based on the vagueness of the Sentry's.  I would, however, encourage you to call your local AT&T phone store or warrantee service center and ask them rather than rely on the Sentry's vagure reply.

Hope this helps.    

Anyway      

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

15 years ago

I have to admit, I'm kinda' confused as to why if you know how to use A2Uploader, you're going to pay for a service that you can do completely yourself...I used to pay, until I discovered A2Uploader, and now debrand all my DB3150 phones myself, for free...

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

Interesting comment about the A2Uploader. I just paid a service for debranding.

However, I have a W810 (or is it W810i that came with AT&T branding) that I would like to debrand. I'd like to give to my son. Any links for DIY using A@Uploader?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to say that I've not been able to get Google Maps to download as a "trusted source" despite what link I click and how many times I click it.  I feel like an bonehead clicking on the same link over and over and expecting it to suddenly become "trusted."   I did keep trying and it never changed.  The phone I'm working with is the W760a.

I feel scammed not being able to use my GPS for free without hacking my phone, and so I was depending on Google Maps to give me similiar functionality.  It's extremely frustrating trying to use it and having to constantly give it permission to access the internet.  Does anyone have another answer to this?  Does the provided solution really work for everyone?

I really appreciate your help.  This is my girlfrend's first internet-enabled phone and I really want her to enjoy it. Thanks!

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

Forget about the trusted version of Google Map on W760a, even if you managed to download it, it won't run, yes, it will not run on latest W760a's.  Untrusted version runs but it's not GPS based, and comes with endless permission nags.  Debrand is your only option if you want to use your own GPS apps.
Message Edited by xyn19 on 04-08-2009 02:38:41 PM

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks, xyn.  It does run fine, other than the annoying internet persmission message.  Hope something can be done in the future....thanks!

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

15 years ago

The w810i is not an A2 phone, so it must be debranded via Far Manager. There are loads of tutorials for debranding AND unlocking DB2020 phones via Far.

As for Google Maps, when I debranded and updated the firmware on my w760, Google Maps was already installed, and works just fine with my phone...
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.