Firmware Updates – Things To Know From AT&T
Firmware Updates - Why Can't I Download It
You're wondering why your device has not downloaded the latest update, am I right?. The simple answer is, the update may not be ready just yet. Some updates are rolled out slowly and not all devices will get them at the same time. This is a safety precaution in case of issues.
In other instances the update is available, but there are issues preventing the download which are listed below:
Requirements To Update:
- AT&T Branded Device - Software update releases are only available for AT&T branded devices. This means if you brought your device from another carrier, it may not download. You may need to contact the manufacturer.
- The device must be on the AT&T network to download the update.
- A compatible device – Some software updates are not available for all makes & models due to the hardware requirements needed to download the update. This is controlled by the manufacturer and not AT&T.
- Wi-Fi Connection – Some updates require an internet connection. Connect to Wi-Fi to download the update.
- Space - If your device does not have enough space, consider erasing unneeded files to make room.
- If the device was not originally on the AT&T network, the update may fail.
- Power - Your device may need at least 80% battery power.
Note: You may need to contact the original carrier, or manufacturer, to download the latest updates if your device is not AT&T Branded.
Is There An Update For My Phone?
In some instances, the manufacturer may not have released an update for your device. You can check what version is available and the latest release date using the instructions below.
Check For And Update Your Device
- Visit Device Support.
- Select or change the selected device brand and model, if needed.
- Scroll down and select Software updates.
- The Software updates link only displays when there are software updates available for the selected device.
- Repeat the above steps to check for software updates for a different device.
Don’t see an update listed? An update may not be available for your device or it has not been released yet.
ChrisZ, AT&T Community Specialist
Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.