Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Troubleshoot your device issues
G

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, December 12th, 2021 4:11 PM

Data Usage of specific amount of 450MB 46 times since start of new billing cycle

I seem to be going over my 100GB wireless internet usage every month.  After looking at AT&T's logs for wireless internet usage, I found that on 46 occasions since Dec. 3, I have specific "450.0MB" usages on it, which is 21GB in and of itself!!!!  I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this and if you may have found out what could be causing it.  Would be nice if AT&T would provide the TCPIP address of the device using their data.

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

We use a hotspot at our house and it has happened 250 times! I called and the lady said, "The good thing is that 450.0 MB isn't that much data." Ummmm, not when it happened over 250 times and you charged me $100 in overages! I'm canceling if they don't figure it out!

• 

7 Messages

1 year ago

I am the originator of this string.  I finally left ATT last month for this one reason.  I did so after installing Eero Pro 6.  Eero showed MUCH less usage than ATT was showing.  They basically are trying to get everyone off of the 100 Mb monthly plan.  So I obliged them by signing up on Star Link.  Much better service, with less issues.👍🏻 Also dumped their wireless phone plan for Patriot mobile.  MUCH BETTER phone service.  This is a win-win for me.

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

I have also been having this problem across multiple devices. I have it on a Samsung S23, iPhone 13max, iPad Pro, etc.. all 450mb data usage in 7 min intervals. On some days, there are 10 instances of these 450mb data uses, at all times of the day & night.  When apps update, it doesn’t seem like the data is recorded. The device will show just a small amount of data (under 20mb used), but the ATT account will show many 450mb data downloads.  It seems to me that this is a scam that is unique to ATT.  Is the ATT app being updated repeatedly, and the phone doesn’t show data being used?  I’m ready to leave ATT, as this just kills the battery life as well as runs up the charges on the account.  This problem is persistent, and looks like a scam.  Google “ATT 450mb scam” and you will find multiple complaints.

8 months ago

I just had a 90-minute chat session with AT&T about this issue. I found this thread when I discovered the same issue with multiple 450 MB downloads across multiple days. I went back in my history as far back as I can go (May 2022) and it happens every month at least once. All of those days as far as I can document are times when I was on Wi-Fi with no documented disruption to Wi-Fi connectivity or ISP uptime (not through AT&T). My iOS cellular usage stats don't account for this much data (and I have my data usage history going back 10 years since you have to reset it manually in iOS settings). My top app for cellular data is Spotify, and in TEN YEARS of the history on my phone, it shows 195 GB of total data use over that time. These 450 MB downloads account for 174.6 GB of data usage in *just the last year*.

Chat support was not helpful. I got passed around between teams and the suggestions they gave were blaming it on Wi-Fi Assist, Low Data Mode not being enabled, etc. I repeatedly explained to them that I manage all of my updates and backups manually and my iCloud photos don't even sync on cellular data (which would be upload anyway and not download, but still), so none of their suggestions account for it. I got disconnected or spontaneously logged out repeatedly, strangely at the times when I suggested it was an issue on their end. None of the options suggested as the possible culprit (all somehow on my end and not theirs) justified the number of times I supposedly downloaded *precisely* 450 MB eight different times yesterday while I was out of cell service. That's 3.6 GIGABYTES of data downloaded during a two-hour period when I couldn't even send a text-only iMessage. At one point he tried to tell me that 5G networks use more data quantity than 4G networks. They may use data faster, but a download request or a file stream would use the same amount of data. Not to mention the fact that where I live we don't have any 5G cell towers yet on any network. He seemed to not be aware of that and got frustrated at that point.

After a while of me trying to press into specifics on the situation, the chat agent brought a supervisor onto the chat and it was a repeat of the same discussion. Eventually, he said he was creating a ticket for the network team to contact me within 48 hours. I saved a transcript of the chat just in case and I'd upload the file here if I could because I think you all would find it pretty entertaining. But all joking aside, this seems like a pretty big issue. It can't be blamed on Apple because users with other phone manufacturers have reported this issue here. I suppose it's possible it's a specific app doing it that exists on both mobile platforms, but that still seems like a stretch. On top of that, I have clear examples of times when this happened (like yesterday) when it was impossible for my phone to have downloaded that much data, even with backgrounded apps as they suggested, so I guess we'll see what the network team says about this.

If anyone else has made any headway in figuring out what's causing this issue, I'd love to hear about it.

(edited)

1 Message

7 months ago

I just noticed this on my account. Anyone make any progress?

• 

3 Messages

7 months ago

Never made any headway. Happened to us continually for 3 years. Happening all day, all night, middle of the night with only a laptop connected. Laptop showed none of this crazy  data usage. Spent days talking to AT&T who were never any help. Finally got rid of our AT&T wireless routers, IFWA-40. We had two, and it happened on both at two different locations. Obviously AT&T has some kind of error in recording although they have never admitted it or ever seemed to care.

2 Messages

7 months ago

I just googled 450MB and found this thread because I noticed this problem on one of the phones on my account.  It's an Android.  I have a theory.  Though if it's true...I don't know why AT&T wouldn't know this already.  But I see entries at various times of the day.  In the middle of the night, it might be under 10MB.  But none were over 450MB.  380.98, 439.13, 247.11.  But nothing greater than 450.

I'm suspecting at 450MB of usage...it just marks the time and starts the count over.  Now...I know some of you are going to say you're not using that much.  I can't help that.  I suspect this usage is reasonable accurate.  I had one phone that had a particular app that was sucking up all the data and had to be re-installed.  But in my case...I think it's streaming and whenever the amount gets to 450, it creates an entry and starts over.  If the data doesn't exceed 450 for some unknown period of time, it will mark the number that the count was at...and start over.

That's my theory.

2 Messages

7 months ago

The unknown period of time is two hours.  So, for example, at 8:39:13, usage was recorded as 2.46MB  Two hours later, it didn't exceed 450 so at 10:36:13 it recorded as 158.5MB.  However the interval when it is 450MB are quite a bit shorter.  3:38:08 - 3:56:29 for example. It just 18 minutes the usage was 450MB so it reset the counter and started over. The interval after that was from 3:56:29 - 04:04:59.  Another 450MB.  

Full disclosure, there were some intervals that were less than 2 hours that were also less than 450MB.  I can't explain those.

1 Message

7 months ago

I googled 450 MB ATT and ended up here. Which if nothing else was a nice sanity check. I use about 10GB a month and suddenly this month is 22GB and the billing period isn’t even over. 

One day I had 9X450MB entries

another 7X450MB entries (this day I was on an airplane in airplane mode and during the time they were counting 450MB every like 20 mins)

another day 8X450MB entries 

So I went back a few months in my usage history and there are no such blocks of usage. 
I’m going to call AT&T but this group has me thinking I’m not going to get any answers. 

1 Message

5 months ago

Do you send and receive iMessages? I think that’s what shows up on my bill when iMessages are sent/received

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.