Troubleshoot your device issues
optimistic's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, July 26th, 2013 1:43 AM

Data Plans for Blackberry

My daughter and I recently upgraded from Torches to Blackberry 10s, she a Z10 and me a Q10.  My daughter has exceeded her data plan twice and my understanding is that the 10s just use more data. Is that correct?  We have wifi at home and she has it where she works (I work from home).  She turns off her data all of the time so is very surprised at the difference in usage. We both have DataPlus 200 MB for Blackberry 4G LTE with Visual Voicemail on our Blackberries. I know this isn't much but since we are under wifi most of the time, it's been enough until now.  Is the AT&T Mobile Share plan available for Blackberry too, or do we have to maintain separate data plans?  Thank you for your help.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

11 years ago

Hello optimistic, welcome to the forum!

Mobile Share plans are available for BlackBerry phones. You can see them here.

Thank You,

Dmitriy.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Yes, the older BlackBerry phones used less data to do the same tasks due to the data compression that was present with BIS.  New BB10 devices don't use BIS or any type of data compression, so the data use will be more in line with all other smartphones with these devices. 

I found a blog that did a good write-up here: http://www.blackberryos.com/content/wary-how-much-data-you-re-using-your-blackberry-10-device-5532/

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you very much! Interesting article and interesting forum!

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you. I guess the question I have now is, are all data plans alike and that it makes no difference if it's Blackberry or iphone or Android? The mobile share page doesn't specify types of smartphones. Is there now any difference in the way Blackberry data is transmitted from any other smartphone? Thank you for your help.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

11 years ago

Correct, plans are the same for all types of smartphones.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for all your help and for helping me to understand! I'll change my plan.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

11 years ago

You're very welcome! Smiley Happy

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

I changed my plan and so far am satisfied, except for one little thing which is, we don't have visual voice mail any more!

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

11 years ago

I used to own a BB Torch 9810. One of the things I liked was the data compression on BB OS 7 because of BIS. BB 10 doesn't use BIS, so there isn't any data compression. Probably because data compression does slow browsing a little. However, there is a way around it, which I myself use on my Samsung Galaxy S3. Download either Opera Browser or Opera Mini and use them to browse the internet. Both have data compression options. I have a Grandfathered 2 GB data plan and live on the internet. I have NEVER gone over my limit. Do yourself a favor and at least check it out 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.