For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Crimson12's profile

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 7:27 PM

Closed

Car charger for fuze

I have a cheap car charger with a mini usb connector can it hurt my battery if i use it?

thank you

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

15 years ago

So purchasing a cheap car charger can be harmful? I have heard so many different things. Such as the charger continueing to charge once battery is full. and it will fry the battery.. and honestly the only problem I have had is that my cheap chargers would eventually have issues with staying plugged in properly.. Since I have graduated to smart phones I don't chance it anymore with the knock off chargers.. I did not know batterys could deteriorate at a quicker pace due to the type of car charger being used.

prubin wrote:

Crimson12 wrote:
So if i hear you guys right any car charger with a mini usb connector should work fine and not harm my battery. is that right?

I have had batteries deteriorate at a quicker pace when using chargers that are not rated for the HTC phones.
In a pinch, you can use a .5 amp, but the full 1. is a much better choice in the long run.

Guru

• 

725 Messages

15 years ago

Smurfette,
  Earlier chargers for some phones contained the charge control circuitry for the phone, and could easily trash the phone.  (Example:  My first phone was an LG/Bell Atlantic Mobile BAM330, the "smarts" were in the adapter and not the phone, and I did kill a battery with a cheap charger in that phone.)

Many modern chargers (especially for USB-connectable smartphones/PDA phones) supply straight 5 volts and the charge termination "Smarts" are in the phone.  This is the case for any phone that has a Mini-USB connector that is used for both charging and syncing.

One issue is that USB devices are not allowed to draw more than 100 mA unless they have negotiated a connection with a host (aka computer).  Any device that draws more than this without either a computer connection or some other indication that it is allowed to draw more is in violation of the USB specification.

As a result, many devices that charge via mini-USB signal the presence of a "dumb" charger by grounding a pin on the mini-USB connector that is not normally grounded.  This is the convention that high-current Motorola devices, Blackberries, and HTC devices use, among others.  Some low-current Motorola devices don't need this signal and chargers designed for those devices won't ground the pin in question.  In this situation a higher-current device (such as any HTC PDA phone) will refuse to draw more than 100 mA, and as a result will effectively not charge, and in fact the battery will drain.  It won't damage the device though.

My experience is that the chargers designated as being for Motorola/Blackberry in Target or WalMart work fine for charging my Tilt.  The Target ones made by "Wireless Gear" have a really bad design (interchangeable tips with a cheap connector for the tips) that causes them to fail prematurely though - they won't damage your device but they won't power it either.  The "Durabrand" ones from Wal-Mart work fine and don't have this design flaw, they have no intermediary connector between the phone connector and the power supply.

eBay chargers might damage the phone by providing more than 5 volts.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

15 years ago

Entropy512 wrote:
Smurfette,
  Earlier chargers for some phones contained the charge control circuitry for the phone, and could easily trash the phone.  (Example:  My first phone was an LG/Bell Atlantic Mobile BAM330, the "smarts" were in the adapter and not the phone, and I did kill a battery with a cheap charger in that phone.)

Many modern chargers (especially for USB-connectable smartphones/PDA phones) supply straight 5 volts and the charge termination "Smarts" are in the phone.  This is the case for any phone that has a Mini-USB connector that is used for both charging and syncing.

One issue is that USB devices are not allowed to draw more than 100 mA unless they have negotiated a connection with a host (aka computer).  Any device that draws more than this without either a computer connection or some other indication that it is allowed to draw more is in violation of the USB specification.

As a result, many devices that charge via mini-USB signal the presence of a "dumb" charger by grounding a pin on the mini-USB connector that is not normally grounded.  This is the convention that high-current Motorola devices, Blackberries, and HTC devices use, among others.  Some low-current Motorola devices don't need this signal and chargers designed for those devices won't ground the pin in question.  In this situation a higher-current device (such as any HTC PDA phone) will refuse to draw more than 100 mA, and as a result will effectively not charge, and in fact the battery will drain.  It won't damage the device though.

My experience is that the chargers designated as being for Motorola/Blackberry in Target or WalMart work fine for charging my Tilt.  The Target ones made by "Wireless Gear" have a really bad design (interchangeable tips with a cheap connector for the tips) that causes them to fail prematurely though - they won't damage your device but they won't power it either.  The "Durabrand" ones from Wal-Mart work fine and don't have this design flaw, they have no intermediary connector between the phone connector and the power supply.

eBay chargers might damage the phone by providing more than 5 volts.

Thank you for the lesson in car chargers! I feel like a wise Smurfette now! lol.... I tend to lean towards name brand car chargers these days. Due to everytime I go to a mall kiosk or the local wal mart the charger ends up dieing. It doesnt stay in the phone correctly and every bump in the road it disconnects and reconnects..

Mentor

• 

74 Messages

15 years ago

I bought a $5 dual USB port car charger at Wal-Mart that has charged my Tilt just fine with no effects to my phone.    I also have a USB port wall charger that has worked well with the phone.   

Guru

• 

725 Messages

15 years ago

@Smurfette27 wrote:

Thank you for the lesson in car chargers! I feel like a wise Smurfette now! lol.... I tend to lean towards name brand car chargers these days. Due to everytime I go to a mall kiosk or the local wal mart the charger ends up dieing. It doesnt stay in the phone correctly and every bump in the road it disconnects and reconnects..

That's pretty much my criticism of the interchangeable-tip "Wireless Gear" chargers Target sells.  Mall kiosk accessories tend to be as bad as (sometimes worse than) eBay.

Cell phone chargers seem to be one of the exceptions to the rule of Target usually carrying slightly higher quality products (on average) than Wal-Mart.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.