Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Troubleshoot your device issues
bac0np4ncakes's profile

• 

1 Message

Tue, Jul 12, 2022 5:24 PM

Can someone else have my phone number in a different state?

I just moved here to the US and needed to get a phone number for me to receive OTPs. I bought a prepaid sim card yesterday at a department store with no load/balance and made sure it’s brand new. I just inserted the sim card to the phone and got a new US number. I am currently living in California (where I bought the prepaid sim card). However, I am moving to New York next month. That is why I decided upon registration to put the area code in New York. Hence, I received a phone number that has the area code of New York. When I woke up this morning, I was included in a groupchat in iMessage that looks like my number was included way before I got this sim card. Is this type of a scam/spam? Or is it possible I accidentally got this number from someone? Is it possible to have 2 same phone numbers but in different states?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

59.8K Messages

3分前

No, it’s not possible for anyone else to have your phone number. That just means whoever had it last was part of that group chat and obviously forgot to tell the group to remove that number.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.